iPhone 4s Home Button

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bigdb11, Oct 18, 2011.

1. bigdb11 macrumors regular

I received my iPhone 4s last Friday. I am in love with the phone, as it is my first iPhone.

However, after playing around with another 4s, I noticed that my home button doesn't make as loud of a clicking sound as the other one. My home button feels more "mushy," (if that makes sense to anyone).

Is this something I should be worried about and have a "genius" look at?

Thanks for your help!

2. Magsec4 macrumors member

My home button feels soft, but I can definitely tell when I've pressed it and it registered a click.

In the most quiet rooms it makes a soft clicking sound when pressed, but nothing that could remotely be described as loud. I'm fairly sure this is the way it should be.

If it feels soft, like you're just moving it from front to back as you press it, rather than like a button, then something's wrong. On the other hand, if it still feels like a button, but just a bit soft, that's normal.

3. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

My iPhone 4 home button did not make a clicking noise that I could hear and my iPhone 4S is the same.

Did not know it was surposed to "click":confused:

4. bigdb11 thread starter macrumors regular

Well, that is what Im trying to figure out. I want to know if a quieter button is normal or louder click is normal.

The home button on my old iPod Touch makes a really loud click noise. My iPhone 4s barely makes any click noise, but the other 4s I played around with, made a much louder noise.

5. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

It probably clicks because there is dirt or sand that is rubbing against. Our new iPhones and iPods don't make sounds. IF a problem arrives I would the it to apple though, but I kind of doubt it.

6. bigdb11 thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, thanks for your input. The iPod Touch I'm referring to is a few years old (I forget which generation). But, for comparison, my 4s home button makes virtually no sound compared to a first gen iPad home button.

7. ukSamo macrumors newbie

My iPhone 4s home button make a little clicking sound, slightly quieter than the lock button click but a little higher pitch.

8. tardman91 macrumors 6502a

tardman91

If it works, who cares? If it starts giving you trouble, then take it in and have them look at it.
    No wonder the line in the Apple store is always so damn long. "My button doesn't click the same way as that one", "The camera on my phone opens 1/4 second slower than the one my friend has", "The Apple logo on the back isn't shiny enough"...

9. EmbraceTheOne macrumors 6502a

My home button is perfect. It doesn't make a loud "click".

It's nice and firm.

Perfect.

:)

10. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

Its not really a click that you get its more of a sound of plastic hitting plastic as the home button makes a "connection".

Its nothing to worry about how loud it is, as long as the button comes back and isn't sticking.

11. bigdb11 thread starter macrumors regular

Well, when you spend $400 on a phone, I think as close to perfection is warranted. If I didn't care, I'd have bought a droid or blackberry...

The only reason I ask is because I'd rather deal with something that could become a problem by swapping out for a new phone, instead of having to have it repaired later (which I don't think is unreasonable).

----------

Thanks!

12. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

Mine makes no sound and my iPad 2, just has a very faint one.

13. ukSamo macrumors newbie

You'll probably find buttons made in several different factories each with slightly different tolerances, it's not unusual for companies to outsource component manufacturing to a number of companies. Like others have said if it works ok and doesn't appear damages or faulty and it works 100% of the time then I wouldn't worry about it.

14. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Sorry but the "sound" of you home button is getting a little picky. If it works every time you push it what more can you ask. If you look hard enough for a problem, you will find one or drive yourself crazy trying.

Try to relax and enjoy your phone. In only months you will find the love for the 4S not as strong and be lusting for the iPhone 5:p

15. bigdb11 thread starter macrumors regular

Haha, I don't even want to think about the iPhone 5...

16. iMerik macrumors 6502

My wife and I both got the iPhone 4S, hers white and mine black. Hers easily gives a nice click feedback while mine feels soft/mushy/squishy to the point that I'm not always confident I actually clicked it. This gets worse when needing to double-click. The button still works, but it's definitely not as nice to use as my wife's. It's not about the "click" noise, it's about the lack of feedback and response that gets annoying when it draws your full attention to the Home button every time you press it.