iPhone 4S in Canada - order from carrier or Apple?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by CdnMacJen, Oct 7, 2011.

1. CdnMacJen macrumors member

So I after fighting with the website for an hour, I've successfully reserved the Black 64GB iPhone 4S with Fido. I'm number 450 in line.

However, they haven't posted prices, or indicated if I can get an unlocked phone.

I can't really afford the $849 + Apple care from Apple.ca... but should I suck it up and buy one direct from Apple?

How hard is it to pick up a Microsim card the next time I travel in the US? Europe? Is it worth the probable extra $600?

What did you other Canadians do?

2. Poochi macrumors 6502a

Poochi

Canadian here. Ordered from apple.ca just in case. Can always cancel. Will make final decision when Rogers reveal their HUP pricing for early adopters.

3. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

I quickly moved to the US to make things easier :)

4. dborod macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'm a 3GS Rogers guy. I decided to buy the 4GS from apple so that I'm not locked in for another 3 years, and so that I hopefully get it a bit sooner :)

5. dborod macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Although originally not locked, I think that iphones activated in Canada become vendor locked if you buy them from a vendor. Can anyone else confirm this?

6. Hutch1 macrumors 6502a

Hutch1

I went with an Unlocked phone from Apple too.

----------

If you buy from a carrier they are usually locked to the carrier. I believe Rogers will unlock near end of the contract for free or unlock it in the term for a fee. If you buy from Apple they are truly factory unlocked phones and stay that way.

7. CdnMacJen thread starter macrumors member

You can cancel an order from Apple? That's news to me. Guess I could cover all my bases and order from them too.

What does "HUP" stand for?

8. HelveticaNeue, Oct 7, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2011

HelveticaNeue macrumors 6502a

HelveticaNeue

Hardware Upgrade Program.

Yeah you can cancel from Apple anytime, up until the order is prepared for shipment. However, you can return the Apple one even after it is delivered, just don't open it. I think it needs to be shipped back, but call Apple and they will email you a sticker and you just drop it off at UPS.

Yes, even a full-priced iPhone at Fido is sim-locked.

As for the micro-sims abroad: They seem easy to get.

9. CdnMacJen thread starter macrumors member

Done, ordered one from Apple! Unlocked freedom comes at a price, but then I won't have to fork over $50+ every time I travel to the US. :)

10. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

The Canadian Apple website has an estimated shipping date of between October 21 and October 31! :eek:

11. CdnMacJen thread starter macrumors member

ACK! Say it ain't so! :(

12. profets macrumors 68040

Yeah looks like shipping times are getting longer now. Originally showed shipping for 14th.

I've also always bought unlocked from apple. Easy to shop around and change carrier for a better deal, and especially for travelling and getting a local sim.

13. Breezygirl macrumors 6502

Breezygirl

I pre-ordered a black 16g on the Rogers site at 5:45 eastern time and was #33 in line this morning and am now #30. My husband's laptop was slower by a few minutes and he is #97 for a black 32g.

14. rugox macrumors regular

I pre-ordered mine from Telus, 159.99 for 16GB white. It seems I now have to wait for CSR to call me and let me of my early device upgrade fee and finalize the order.