iphone 4S International use - How?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by i-sidd, Feb 11, 2012.

1. i-sidd macrumors 6502a

I will be traveling abroad soon and wanted to know how to use the iphone 4s features - camera,internet,wi-fi,music etc without using the calling feature.

Do I need to call att and ask them to block my data so that there is no charge.

When I get into the plane do I need to put it on airplane mode? and keep it that way rest of the trip.

Also, I will be taking my macbook (2007) and would need adapter to charge both iphone and macbook. The apple travel kit is around $40 is there anything cheaper which can do the same thing cheaper which I can buy from Amazon or something.

Also, I would like be able to facetime my in the U.S, how can I do that with my iphone 4S.

Haven't used facetime much.

2. BiggAW macrumors 68020

Airplane mode and turn wifi back on. If you get an XCOM Global Mifi for about $17/day, you'll have unlimited 3G data access abroad, compared to thousands of overage charges on AT&T.

If you have a Verizon 4S, get it unlocked before you go, and you can get a local SIM or various global roaming SIMs that have sort-of reasonable data rates.

3. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

I'm not too sure... But try airplane mode and/or turn 3G off, then try to call someone as a test, and see if you can :)

4. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

The best option, IMO, if you are on a GSM network, is to remove the sim. I say this because you will at least be able to make emergency calls, depending on the country, this way without having to opo it out of airplane mode and wait to get signal.

5. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Will an iPhone operate at all without a SIM? :eek: Because he wants to go on the net, take photos etc...

6. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

It should, as long as it has been activated at some point, which it sounds like it has.

7. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

While I was in Vietnam in Dec. I had my 4s and I just had it in airplane mode the whole time and just turned on wifi and was able to use the phone. Just make sure data roaming and cell data is turned off. If your phone is unlocked pick up a local prepaid sim card and you'll be able to make calls and use data without getting any charges from at&t.

8. BiggAW macrumors 68020

Yeah, you can airplane and turn back on wifi... first of all, think of actual airplanes with wifi. Secondly, I tried it once just in case I was in a room with no chance of getting service, I could still pick wifi up...

9. i-sidd thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks for the suggestions. So while I am abroad if a call comes in will i be charged for it by att.

My iphone 4s is not unlocked, can it be unlocked by JB or something?

What should I buy in terms of travel adapter. Apple travel kit is expensive looking for some cheap alternative.

10. BiggAW macrumors 68020

No way to unlock 4S. Some of the older ones can be unlocked. If you want data, rent a Mifi from XCom Global and you will have unlimited data. I'd put the phone in airplane mode and then use wifi with that to avoid incoming calls or texts. Even voicemail will incur AT&T's absurd charges.