iPhone 4S + iTunes HD

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by FSMBP, Dec 1, 2011.

1. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

When you buy an HD movie off iTunes, will it go on the iPhone 4S as that original file (a 720P movie), or will it need to be converted to something smaller?

The reason I ask is, I want to hook up my iPhone 4S to my TV (using Apple's Digital AV adapter) watch HD movies.
    Thanks!

2. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

EDIT: My post is about buying movies on iTunes on a computer and then syncing them to a phone. You did mean that, right? Or are you talking about buying them in the store ON the phone?
    - - -

When you buy an HD movie on iTunes you actually get an HD and an SD version. They're both wrapped up together in iTunes so it just LOOKS like just one movie, but you can right-click it and set it to either HD or SD playback on your computer.

As for the phone, it's a phone-wide setting. On the iPhone overview page you see in iTunes for the phone (where it shows your phone number) there is a check-box for whether or not you want SD or HD videos to be copied to the phone.

3. FSMBP thread starter macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Ok, thanks!

I was worried iTunes would down convert the HD video when I copy it over to my iPhone.

4. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

My assumption is that it would render it to fit the iphone's screen, possibly down converting it to something like 480p

Not sure though.

5. melman101 macrumors 68030

No this is not true.