Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cub

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 16, 2011
Australia
Hi all,
I just recently purchased an iPhone 4S here in Australia, the problem is that it is a Japanese model where I can not mute the camera function even when the whole phone is on silent mode, now I do not want to jailbreak the phone so how can I go about muting the camera without jailbreaking as returning it looks impossible and costly,

Thanks all
David

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Hi all,
I just recently purchased an iPhone 4S here in Australia, the problem is that it is a Japanese model where I can not mute the camera function even when the whole phone is on silent mode, now I do not want to jailbreak the phone so how can I go about muting the camera without jailbreaking as returning it looks impossible and costly,

Thanks all
David

You can't. Japanese iPhone's are setup to make it impossible to mute the camera function (it's a legal thing, don't want any creepers snapping photos of people unwillingly).

I don't know if there's anything a jailbreak can do about it, but if so, that's the only way to possibly get rid of it that I know of.

Cub

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 16, 2011
Australia
You can't. Japanese iPhone's are setup to make it impossible to mute the camera function (it's a legal thing, don't want any creepers snapping photos of people unwillingly).

I don't know if there's anything a jailbreak can do about it, but if so, that's the only way to possibly get rid of it that I know of.

The jailbreak allows access to the root files, where I can edit the file name for the sound, making it nullfor when it is in silent mode. Using a program like ifunbox, i need to jailbreak it to access the root files, would anyone know of any other programs which could without jailbreaking?

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.