iPhone 4s killing my home broadband

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gponter79, Oct 27, 2011.

1. gponter79 macrumors newbie

I have had the iPhone 4s since the day of launch and had a problem with it every day. Basically it keep killing my home wifi/broadband. I will be using it as normal on my home wifi then all of a sudden I notice the wifi connection has dropped and the small circle is in it's place. When I go to my router that is still showing as connected - my computer however has lost it internet connection too.

The iPhone then just reads 'Unable to join the network "BTHomeHub2-......"

Other relevant facts:
    -I'm in the UK using BT broadband
    14.7Mb Download speed & 0.9Mb Upload speed

-I had a iPhone 3GS for 18 months with the same set up and had no wifi issues.

:confused::confused::confused:

2. nevrikos macrumors newbie

iPhone 4S killing wifi

I seem to be having the same problem. Every time wifi is turned on on my iPhone 4S, and i use it, it knocks out my wifi connection a work, and i need to restart the cable modem, router and pc to get connected again. It also occurs with my father in law's phone too here at work. If we don't turn off the wifi antennas on our iPhones, we kill the internet connection here at work from the moment it's used.... WTF???! Please help

3. OnEMoReTrY macrumors member

I've actually been experiencing the same issue lately, weird.

4. munch2112 macrumors member

No problem for me....

I'm also in the uk, with bt broadband.

What router are you using as could be linked to that.....

5. Hpye macrumors 6502

Yep me too.. Weird iPhone 4s is stronger than a computer?

6. tsduke macrumors regular

I've been having issue with my home wireless net dropping of too. Been trying to figure out what the problem is and now that I think about it it's only been an issue since I got my 4S.

I changed channels on my router this morning trying anything to figure it out but maybe it is the iPhone.

7. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

See http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1275479

People, please check your router logs. Is something similar happening on your network? Please respond on that thread.

We just returned from our holiday place. The router there kept rebooting. I wonder if it's because the 4S is not playing nice on the network. The log posted on the above-linked thread came from my home router after IT had spontaneously rebooted too! It is certainly possible that one router might be on its last legs, but two?

8. Zxxv macrumors 68040

Thought I was alone. It effects streaming oFf bluray player on bbciplayer. Rebooting phone sorts mine out.

9. cshel24 macrumors member

Any updates on this issue? I googled this problem and it led me back to this forum. I have the iPhone 4, and it will kill my wifi connection. My simple solution (and not a good one) is to keep the wifi turned off on my iPhone unless I am actually using it on the network for something. If I leave the iPhone on the network, say overnight, the wifi will not work the next morning. I will have to unplug the router and plug it back in to get it to work. If I keep the iPhone off the network, it will goes weeks without needing to be rebooted.

We have a Linksys router, I thought the problem might be in the router. I considered buying a different brand just to see if it would work better, but I don't want to waste the time and money if the iPhones are doing it to all brands.

when I say kills the wifi, NO wireless devices will work on the network.

10. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I have BT internet, and the router dies all the time. I am not sure whether it is the iPhone, the router (which I doubt is built to a high specification), or the crappy BT infrastructure*. Also, FWIW the BTFon app sucks big time - it is even more unreliable than my home WiFi. I wonder sometimes whether BTFon hangs routers, which might account for some unexplained router crashes.

*My ex was having problems with BT internet and they had to reset the line at the switching station. To quote the BT engineer 'sometimes that just happens'.

11. Shanekarpi251 macrumors member

Makes no sense! I'd say the problem is with your Wifi router or internet connection.

12. pauliphone macrumors regular

The same occurs at my parents house, I'd never made the correlation before that it's the iPhone, but it seems that is the case, they use VirginMedia with a netgear router.

13. TwitchOSX macrumors 6502

Wow. I thought it was just our router being stupid. My iPod Touch 4th Gen seems to be killing our router connection as well when I go out for a smoke which is a ways away from the router out back, I take the iPod with me to play a game and the connection is really weak if non-existant where I'm at. I come back in and I've lost internet on my computers. I power-cycle the router and then everything is back to normal.

14. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

Update your iPod's OS.

There was an update which seemed to pacify this issue here... our D-Link DIR-655s (at two locations) no longer sigh and die under the repetitive associate/disassociate loop that our iDevices once manifested with early iOS 5 builds.