iPhone 4S less battery than the 4?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by djrod, Oct 13, 2011.

1. djrod macrumors 65816

djrod

I was looking the iPhone comparison in Apple's web and I've found this:

Battery Life Standby iPhone 4S 200hours
    Battery Life Standby iPhone 4 300hours

http://www.apple.com/iphone/compare-iphones/

100 hours less of standby???

:eek::confused:

2. futch macrumors 6502

futch

That is interesting.

Adding a little more confusion to the mix is that:
    3G talk time on the 4s is up to 8 hours
    3G talk time on the 4 is up to 7 hours

3. Richardgm macrumors 6502a

Richardgm

It's a "bigger" battery. But for some reason (Siri? A5? Typo?) the standby time is lower.

4. d0ster macrumors regular

IMO standby time is reduced due to extra functions of iOS 5 like location based reminders, find my iphone, photostream etc. These are all processes that will be running in the background. I'm assuming the iphone 4 with iOS5 will have a reduced battery life too.

5. tajam macrumors newbie

but standby means these things are turned off

6. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

This has been discussed numerous times... try a little bit of searching.

7. futch macrumors 6502

futch

Does it? I thought standby meant you weren't using the phone but it was on and running. Meaning that multitasking, notifications, etc. were all still active in the background...

8. woodekm macrumors 65816

woodekm

A friend and I were just talking about this. Bet location services (for SIRI) has alot to do with it.

9. futch macrumors 6502

futch

I searched for threads with "4s battery life" and saw only a few threads on the topic, none with more than 5 or 6 comments. Mind you I am not the OP, but if it bothers you that they didn't search, so be it. Telling them to search probably isn't going to change their ways. The same way honking or flashing your brights at a car who cuts you off (or something equally annoying) isn't going to make them a more considerate driver.

10. Robby S macrumors member

Right, and you actually got 300 hours of standby out of your iPhone 4? Those numbers are meaningless. If you have read up, you would know that in standby it uses a bit more juice, but lots of other things while in use are more efficient in the 4S.

11. tivoboy macrumors 68030

previous probably old

I think the previous number for the iphone 4, but with IOS 5, is probably going to change no? Although, the new iphone 4s uses a different gps chip and setup, so it could be that the poling IS changing and really puts a hit on the device.

12. decafjava macrumors 68000

decafjava

Maybe it's Sirir as others ahve posted here? I am just curious what ios 5 will do to my IP 4's battery life. It is pretty good now but I can see it going down a bit if I turn all the new cloud based or "find my friend/stalker" :p options on.