iPhone 4S listed in iTunes beta...are u kidding me?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sulpfiction, Oct 1, 2011.

1. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

I mean really....does anyone really think that Apple, who was totally furious with the whole iPhone 4 left in bar saga, and who has so far been successful in keeping any real iPhone information sealed and locked up tight, most likely spending millions upon millions of dollars doing so, would be STUPID enough to list an iPhone 4S in an iTunes beta just 2 days before the formal announcement only to totally spoil EVERYTHING about this great mystery? I don't think so. I give apple a bit more credit. And for those of you whining and b!tch!ng about it, your playing right into EXACTLY what apple wants. You are putty in their hands. They would NEVER do such a thing if the 4S was the only device being announced Tuesday. It was put there for one reason, to disappoint. And by doing so it will make the iPhone 5 that much more fantastic on Tuesday.

2. CompletelyApple macrumors newbie

agreed. I think people just don't know what to think. which is understandable. I just know that I want an iPhone with a bigger screen.

3. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

It also wasn't listed "just 2 days before." It's been in there since late August, though it was just recently found.

That being said, the likelihood that whoever was writing that code had any idea what the next iPhone would be is pretty low. It could easily just be a placeholder.

4. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

5. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

6. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

This is not the first time apple has done this, that's why people know to go through iTunes string to see what's listed. I think an iPod was leaked like this a couple of years ago.

7. AIP5 macrumors 6502a

And who is to say those aren't intentional leaks? I mean, I'm sure they know that the developer build goes out to people who can tinker with it and unravel all of these Apple secrets. It only makes sense that they would keep their best secrets away from a place they know people can find it.

8. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

It's not intentional, when apple developers are testing the new iPhone with iTunes they have to write code for it.

9. sulpfiction thread starter macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

iPod maybe...iPhone 5...NEVER!

10. AIP5 macrumors 6502a

Apple developers... do you mean in house Apple developers? Like software engineers working in Cupertino? Or do you mean app developers?

Because I'd think that Cupertino software engineers would have their own version of iTunes to work with?

11. sulpfiction thread starter macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

Yup...a placeholder aptly named "4S". My point exactly.

12. AIP5 macrumors 6502a

Could be a placeholder, but I'm not sure why they'd use a 4S then, instead of something else. But then again, I'm not sure as to why they'd even include their new iPhones in current beta testing. It seems sort of... stupid.

13. LoganT macrumors 68020

Who was the first publication to break the "4S" moniker?

I'm trying to figure out if the name "4S" came from a leak or if it's just been assumed it was going to be called that because of the 3GS.

14. Frenchjay macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

Meanwhile over at Apple disinformation HQ......

[​IMG]

15. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

I think it just came about from the 3G > 3GS succession, so people assumed Apple would go 4 > 4S.

16. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

Exactly!!!

17. mtnDewFTW macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I definitely don't think that Apple would leak such a thing themselves. It would make no sense whatsoever. And doesn't iTunes usually get updated after the new product is released to support it? There is just no way in hell Apple would leak such information after ALL the security stuff they go through on a daily bases to keep their products hidden from the world.