iPhone 4S Lock Button

smallguy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
Hi, Ive noticed the past few days that the lock button has became hard to press and doesnt click anymore. I know its not that big of a deal but i like things to be perfect and the way its meant to be. Its in the 1 year warranty.

I was thinking... If I had a new one from apple would it come in a brand new box etc?

Much appreciated.

dotme

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2011
Iowa
My advice - replace now. Unless you have AppleCare+ with 2 years of coverage.

Replacements are rarely brand new, but completely refurbished and as good as new. Plus you'll get another 90 days warranty.

smallguy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
My advice - replace now. Unless you have AppleCare+ with 2 years of coverage.

Replacements are rarely brand new, but completely refurbished and as good as new. Plus you'll get another 90 days warranty.
It expires in november, Hopefully id get a brand new one :D Ive got a question anyway. If i have a replacement one it wont match up with the original box will it? As in matching numbers on the back of the box

dotme

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2011
Iowa
It expires in november, Hopefully id get a brand new one :D Ive got a question anyway. If i have a replacement one it wont match up with the original box will it? As in matching numbers on the back of the box
My replacement came in a black, slim box. I still have my original box and packaging too - but yes the serial numbers won't match.

If you do have an apple store nearby and you can demonstrate that the lock button is toast, I'd highly recommend a visit prior to September 21st.

From the look of things, it's going to be a busy fall season. This is the calm before the storm.

:)

smallguy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
My replacement came in a black, slim box. I still have my original box and packaging too - but yes the serial numbers won't match.

If you do have an apple store nearby and you can demonstrate that the lock button is toast, I'd highly recommend a visit prior to September 21st.

From the look of things, it's going to be a busy fall season. This is the calm before the storm.

:)
Why would you say it will be busy after the 21st? Dont they fix it as i was going to sell my iPhone 4S when my contract expires next november so matching numbers would be useful :/

dotme

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2011
Iowa
Why would you say it will be busy after the 21st? Dont they fix it as i was going to sell my iPhone 4S when my contract expires next november so matching numbers would be useful :/
Sept 21 is the rumored launch day for the new iPhone. Maybe a smaller iPad a few weeks later. Those stores will be so busy you won't be able to swing a dead cat in there. Matching numbers are probably irrelevant to a buyer if the device isn't under warranty any more. I don't see that as having an impact on resale value personally - but I could be wrong.

Edit: No fix generally for jammed lock button. They will swap out the phone (unless a blast of compressed air fixes it - have you tried that yourself?)

smallguy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
Sept 21 is the rumored launch day for the new iPhone. Maybe a smaller iPad a few weeks later. Those stores will be so busy you won't be able to swing a dead cat in there. Matching numbers are probably irrelevant to a buyer if the device isn't under warranty any more. I don't see that as having an impact on resale value personally - but I could be wrong.
I would like a new one not being greedy and ungrateful though... Do you think they would?

----------

Edit: No fix generally for jammed lock button. They will swap out the phone (unless a blast of compressed air fixes it - have you tried that yourself?)
I havent tried it no

dotme

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2011
Iowa
I would like a new one not being greedy and ungrateful though... Do you think they would?
I suspect you will not be able to tell. Apple refurbs are known to be flawless. They have very high standards. When I had my 4S replaced, I wondered the same thing. The replacement was immaculate and has served me well for more than 9 months now.

smallguy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
I suspect you will not be able to tell. Apple refurbs are known to be flawless. They have very high standards. When I had my 4S replaced, I wondered the same thing. The replacement was immaculate and has served me well for more than 9 months now.
I thought it depends on the rep?

dotme

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2011
Iowa
I thought it depends on the rep?
Nope, I believe it depends on what they have in the back room. You can inspect your replacement though. You will likely find it's presented as new with the plastic protector films on both front and back just like the new ones.

Bottom line, the one you get will be better than the one you're giving up, and you'll be selling it in 8 weeks anyway. Except now you'll be selling a phone with a month left on the warranty instead of one with no warranty. To me, that's a win for you...

:D

smallguy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
Nope, I believe it depends on what they have in the back room. You can inspect your replacement though. You will likely find it's presented as new with the plastic protector films on both front and back just like the new ones.

Bottom line, the one you get will be better than the one you're giving up, and you'll be selling it in 8 weeks anyway. Except now you'll be selling a phone with a month left on the warranty instead of one with no warranty. To me, that's a win for you...

:D
Im selling it next year not this year. My contract ends in 2013 :p

dotme

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2011
Iowa
Im selling it next year not this year. My contract ends in 2013 :p
Ah. Gotcha. Still, you'll get an as-new device with 90 days warranty. You might want to delay replacement until a week before the warranty is up. But make an appointment in advance in case they're busy. Good luck!

smallguy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
Ah. Gotcha. Still, you'll get an as-new device with 90 days warranty. You might want to delay replacement until a week before the warranty is up. But make an appointment in advance in case they're busy. Good luck!
Ok thanks, If i cheekily ask for a new one and i say im patient to wait etc would they do that?

NismoRoadster

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2011
Cerritos, CA
Ok thanks, If i cheekily ask for a new one and i say im patient to wait etc would they do that?
They don't give out new replacements unless its in that new device release month where they don't have refurbished yet. The refurbished comes brand new with the plastic covers so people think its a new phone. You can't tell the difference, only by serial numbers.

You should take the back cover off first to see if soda or something like that got in there. takes like two mins.

smallguy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
They don't give out new replacements unless its in that new device release month where they don't have refurbished yet. The refurbished comes brand new with the plastic covers so people think its a new phone. You can't tell the difference, only by serial numbers.

You should take the back cover off first to see if soda or something like that got in there. takes like two mins.
Nothings ever touched it tbh. Its in perfect condition and was in a case

smallguy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
But I was thinking, what if you left ur phone on the table and someone spilled something without you knowing one day and didn't tell you.
i always have it with me, No-one could of done it in my opinion. Why would you think that would affect the lock button?

NismoRoadster

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2011
Cerritos, CA
i always have it with me, No-one could of done it in my opinion. Why would you think that would affect the lock button?
Because I got soda in my buttons before and over time it starts sticking harder to switch. Also, I had the 3G a long long time ago where that switch did that some thing and it turned out to be the screws loose inside.

smallguy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
Because I got soda in my buttons before and over time it starts sticking harder to switch. Also, I had the 3G a long long time ago where that switch did that some thing and it turned out to be the screws loose inside.
Its not that for me

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
Long story short you would be supplied a mint refurbished unit. The person buying the iPhone from you when it's time can check in apples website that it's a genuine model. As long as your upfront with them a non matching label on the packaging is non consequential.