Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

elvismsmarta

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2014
My friend has an iphone i wanted to go for a factory unlock but upon checking on swappa for esn, it came up with ESN does not appear to be eligible for activation!
Please contact carrier customer service. i also checked using verizon tool and it says The phone associated with the Device ID you entered is not compatible with the Verizon Wireless network. When i use MEID sayThis device has previously been reported as lost or stolen and cannot be activated at this time.
It works with an x-sim in Kenya but i would like it to be factory unlocked. How can i go about it, am planning on calling verizon because that's the network it shows on general>>about>>carrier. Anybody with experience please help

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
My friend has an iphone i wanted to go for a factory unlock but upon checking on swappa for esn, it came up with ESN does not appear to be eligible for activation!
Please contact carrier customer service. i also checked using verizon tool and it says The phone associated with the Device ID you entered is not compatible with the Verizon Wireless network. When i use MEID sayThis device has previously been reported as lost or stolen and cannot be activated at this time.
It works with an x-sim in Kenya but i would like it to be factory unlocked. How can i go about it, am planning on calling verizon because that's the network it shows on general>>about>>carrier. Anybody with experience please help

Why not call verizon first, nobody can tell you what verizon will do.

elvismsmarta

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2014
i called them but unfortunately they told me it's reported lost on their database. i have seen some guys advitising on ebay for cleaning bad ESN phone so that they can be activated and unlocked i don't know if its legit or its just a scam.

elvismsmarta

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2014
its not useless since it can use sim cards in kenya using X-SIM, the only problem is it may never get factory unlocked. :cool:

lambo

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2008
FL
its not useless since it can use sim cards in kenya using X-SIM, the only problem is it may never get factory unlocked. :cool:

What is x-sim and how is this possible that your phone works there? Wouldn't that mean that there is a market for reported stolen iPhones in Kenya? Very interested.

elvismsmarta

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2014
What is x-sim and how is this possible that your phone works there? Wouldn't that mean that there is a market for reported stolen iPhones in Kenya? Very interested.
The owner bought it overseas because she travels a lot. I wanted to unlock the phone for her only to realize that's the status. That doesn't mean there is a market for stolen phones. Actually i have come to learn of x-sim from this experience :cool:

Winona Northdakota

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2010
The owner bought it overseas because she travels a lot. I wanted to unlock the phone for her only to realize that's the status. That doesn't mean there is a market for stolen phones. Actually i have come to learn of x-sim from this experience :cool:

If the owner bought the iPhone 4S new overseas, it wouldn't be useable with Verizon.

Winona Northdakota

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2010
Iphone 4s locked and esn has a problem

Owner bought the 4s used overseas or fell off the truck new. Obviously can't purchase a VZW phone new outside of the US.

Then Verizon has nothing to do with the phone. Verizon only allows phones bought for Verizon on their network. You can't bring an outside phone in. The big tip-off?

i also checked using verizon tool and it says The phone associated with the Device ID you entered is not compatible with the Verizon Wireless network.

All iPhone 4S's have MEIDs and ESNs, though only MEIDs and ESNs whitelisted to Verizon's network will be allowed by Verizon on their network. Traditionally, those iPhones are bought from a Verizon or authorized retailer or Apple store in US. The MEID, for example of a GSM destined iPhone 4S, will be most likely a duplicate of the IMEI, which won't work, it is too long of a serial number.

Last edited:

elvismsmarta

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2014
i will just use the phone as it is with the x-sim it works fine but USSDs don't work which is fine with me. Getting a factory unlock will not happen as i have realized by the comments you guys have given.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.