iPhone 4S MDM6610 chipset=hack for some TMO 3G love?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Drewbster, Oct 23, 2011.

1. Drewbster macrumors member

Teardowns of the iPhone 4S confirm Qualcomm MDM6610 chipset is in the new phone. This is a upgrade from the Verizon iPhone 4's MDM6600. Which supports T Mobile's 1700 AWS band, but lacked a Sim Card slot. The new 4S supports both CDMA/GSM with a Sim Card slot.

I can't see why Apple would pay Qualcomm to upgrade their chipset just to remove the 1700 AWS band. But, you never know especially since there is no information provided by Qualcomm regarding it's new chipset's specifications and Apple is a 40 billion $ company.

But I just ask you hackers out there to see if there is any info in the iPhone 4S's baseband files in regards to support for the 1700 mHz spectrum thus finally giving us a hack/ability to get some 3G connectivity to T Mobile !

2. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Wirelessly posted (iPhone : Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

This would be a reason to jailbreak the new 4S alone.

3. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

For all we know, the MDM6610 could have been specially made for apple to disable AWS.

No official specs have been released about the chipset so far so it's all speculation.

4. Drewbster thread starter macrumors member

So a jailbreak would not reveal anything about a phones baseband ?

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Never going to happen.
    It's a hardware limitation and nothing that can be altered with a jb.

6. Drewbster thread starter macrumors member

Please confirm this with factual information.

-----------

Excuse my frustration but I have provided ample evidence that Apple has just put in place a software limitation since the chipset they use for the carriers they "support" is capable of being a "world phone" running on all networks world wide. If you would please read my first post you will see that, backed up with evidence.

The answer I am looking for to this question is going to have to come from an experienced hacker who is knowledgeable in baseband/(previous unlocking) support for iOS 5 and iPhone 4S to see if the baseband supports frequency 1700 AWS inside the iPhone 4S's chipset and if there is a way to enable it. As you can tell from my past post there is absolutely no evidence of a hardware limitation right now. Qualcomm hasn't even acknowledged it's existence yet !

Thank you soo much.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

It's not the answer you're looking for or want to hear but it's not possible.
    The frequency band is not there and you can't make it just appear using a jb. It has to be there hardcoded from the factory during production.

8. terraphantm macrumors 68040

Right. Just because a baseband chipset supports a certain frequency doesn't mean that frequency will be implemented in every application in which that chipset is used.

In fact, the iPhone 4 baseband chipset can also support the AWS band, but it was never implemented from the factory.

In a similar vain, the bluetooth chipsets used in the past few iPhones all support FM radio, but the rest of the hardware required to tune into FM stations isn't present. So even if you created a software hack to enable that capability, you'd never have reception