iPhone 4's Mic will only work on speakerphone

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by bored911, May 29, 2011.

1. bored911 macrumors 6502

bored911

So I tried googling this, which turned up nothing due to the fact that there was a slightly similiar bug in iOS 1.1.1 (obviously not useful anymore.) Anyway, the other day, my friend was complaining that she couldn't hear me, and that I sounded "very very far away." I chalked it up to the phone call, and left it at that. However, since then, just about everyone I know has complained that they cannot hear me if my phone is not on speakerphone. When I switch it to speakerphone they can hear me just fine. Is there a different mic for speakerphone? If not then this would have to be a software issue correct? I did recently pair a Jawbone headset to it, but bluetooth is turned off when I'm having these problems, so that shouldn't affect it, right?
    Anyway, thanks for any help you might be able to give!

2. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

Take it into Apple, they will fix it or replace it.

3. bored911 thread starter macrumors 6502

bored911

Thanks, posted in the wrong board like an idiot. Yeah that was what I was thinking, but was hanging on to the hope it was a software problem of some kind.

4. dread macrumors 6502a

My wife's phone had the same problem. It's a hardware issue

5. Justinb51 macrumors 6502

Justinb51

I had the same problem, I did a restore of the firmware and it fixed the issue.

6. 700-Grizz macrumors 6502

My friends phone did the exact same thing! He restored and then re-jailbroke and all is perfect again

7. antisoma macrumors regular

I learned the other day when getting a replacement phone for a similar problem that there are two microphones. One for normal phone calls and another when on speaker phone. So it seems like one of your microphones is on it's way out.