iPhone 4S Models: T-Mobile's vs AT&T's Hardware

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by yehudah72, Apr 14, 2013.

1. yehudah72 macrumors regular

yehudah72

Does anyone know if there's a Hardware difference between the iPhone 4S Models: T-Mobile's vs AT&T's???

Currently, I'm using an AT&T Factory Unlocked with T-Mo's Carrier Update. Although, I need to depend on the 3G/4G 1900MHz refarmed signal to get real 4G.

I heard, from T-Mo Rep that a T-Mo iPhone 4S (or iPhone 5, of course), DON'T depend on the refarmed frequencies.

Can anyone confirm iPhone 4S Models: T-Mobile's vs AT&T's hardware?????

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

As far as I know they're exactly the same. T-Mobile only sells the 4S in "selected areas" which probably means refarmed areas.

3. yehudah72 thread starter macrumors regular

yehudah72

I've read that iPhone 5 manufactured 2013+ have same hardware for AT&T and T-Mo... unlike Pre-2013.

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The iPhone 4S is not the iPhone 5. The 4S is the same. The new 5 is different.

5. yehudah72 thread starter macrumors regular

yehudah72

No Duh!!!

Get your facts straight... the new (2013) iPhone 5 is same hardware for T-Mo and AT&T.

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

While the hardware is the same, the baseband has been tweaked to allow AWS bands. That justifies the title of "different".

7. yehudah72 thread starter macrumors regular

yehudah72

Ok, I see your point... LOL!!!

So, no changes on iPhone 4S???

I activated four Factory Unlocked AT&T iPhone 4S and ordered two T-Mo iPhone 5, but my 4S's only get 4G on refarmed areas. In San Diego, that's like only 30% of time, in Los Angeles it was 99% of time. I live in SD, but visit LA every weekend.

The T-Mo Corp retail store added the Warranty & Insurance Plan ($11.99/mo) on my four AT&T iPhone 4S... So I was going to do a T-Mo Famous "Warranty Exchange" so I can get new T-Mo iPhone 4S and hopefully get the 4G on all frequencies.

BTW: "Warranty Exchange" Program is not like insurance... It's when you're having issues with a device that is "physically functional" and no damage has occurred, but for some reason it doesn't. T-Mo sends you a Replacement for FREE and you send them back your Non-Working device.

P.S. After doing the Exchange, I plan to downgrade plan to Insurance only ($7.79/mo).