Iphone 4s motherboard overheating

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by MosesTheTool, Apr 29, 2013.

1. MosesTheTool macrumors newbie

Hey people.
    I purchased a Water Damaged Iphone 4S on eBay, to try and rescue it, it was in delivery for like a month, and i don't believe the owner tried the "rice trick".

Anyway, I followed the instructions on how to rescue it, I disassembled it and took off the motherboard covers, put it in Isopropyl and brushed it with a clean new toothbrush. I cleaned the connectors as well, replaced the dock connector and replaced battery.

The phone is powering on, i managed to restore+update to 6.1.3, but then I noticed it is overheating.

The overheating occurs only when the battery is inserted, when I plug the phone without the battery to the AC or USB+Comp the motherboard doesn't heat up. This is really strange and kinda out of my league, I am from Israel so I don't have the option to "take it to apple", and I don't wanna spend loads of money going to a tech, because I fix phones for fun.

I would greatly appreciate any professional advice. I researched and couldn't find any simple solution. One solution i found was to solder some new components on the mother board, and unfortunately I do not know how to solder.

P.S.
    The battery doesn't charge, when I turn on the phone, it heats up and drains the battery, when I plug it in AC or USB it shows the sign of charging, but the battery keep going down and not up.

Thanks in advance!
    -Michael.

2. MosesTheTool thread starter macrumors newbie

3. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Nobody should suggest u take a water-damaged phone to Apple. Even if they are willing to touch it, the cost would be prohibited.

Sounds like the charging circuit is damaged, that's all I have for you. If you know exactly what components to replace I guess find somebody with a bench-top soldering equipment.

4. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

How hot is it actually getting?

5. MosesTheTool thread starter macrumors newbie

My brother is an electronics engineer, but he said the equipment for such repair would cost like 3 new iphones.
    Thanks for the reply

Seriously?, umm let's say if you put your finger on it, it isn't too comfortable.
    Like - "if you don't disconnect me now i will explode" hot :(