iPhone 4s needs account to unlock

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tarheel33grits, Jul 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tarheel33grits macrumors newbie

Hi, I am a mom who unwittingly bought a phone for my son from Craigslist. To get to the part to activate it there is a text message from the owner saying return sim card.Turns out I bought a stolen iPhone. The guy doesn't want it back (he has already replaced it) but we gave him all the info to file a police report. He doesn't want to give us his email and passwords to unlock it.

My question: Can I bypass this and enter our own info or am I screwed out of my money?

2. juanrp, Jul 13, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2014

juanrp macrumors 6502a

juanrp

Hmm...

You cannot, unfortunately bypass the lock.

-Juan :apple:

3. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

There's no way around the activation lock (iOS 7). You need the previous AppleID and password.

If you don't have it or can't get it…you're done.

4. Altimax98 macrumors 6502

Altimax98

If you spoke with the original owner (assumed by the way you said he's already replaced it) he should be able to remove the lock online without having to provide any information to you.

5. Yoshi Yogurt macrumors regular

Nothing you can do. The original owner is a douche if he won't unlock it for you.

6. Applejuiced, Jul 13, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2014

Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Nice bs story and everything but there's nothing that can be done with an activation locked iphone.
    And I really doubt you contacted the owner and he told you to keep it and that he doesn't want it any more.
    Cause its still tied up to his icloud account and he won't release it for the thieves or the people that bought stolen property can't enjoy it.

7. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

You can't unlock it. I'd just turn it in to the police. Hopefully the person who stole it gets caught.

8. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

If my phone had been stolen I wouldn't unlock it for anyone. But I would notify the police. :cool:

9. EM2013 macrumors 65816

EM2013

Newbies always put so much effort into their stories :D

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Lol:)
    Yes like if you say I am a mommy and poor me that I bought stolen goods the responses will be different. And we will tell her what she wants to hear.
    But even if we believe her there's nothing that can be done.
    I love this new anti theft feature. At least I know if my phone is stolen it will be useless and I will never remove it from my iCloud account.

11. makerleone macrumors regular

makerleone

I agree, their is no way, you have to buy a new one.

12. C DM macrumors Westmere

That's pretty much the only thing that could be done.

13. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Why is he a douche?

If I had my phone stolen, and someone called me asking me to unlock it for them so they could use it, I'd tell them to go do one.

I wish iCloud would send an email to the iCloud account with exact GPS coordinates as soon as it was plugged in after being placed in "stolen" mode. It does it if you use the phone, but not after a restore.

14. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Deleted a few posts.

Reminder: forum rules prohibit referring people to specific websites, software, or techniques whose purpose is to break or bypass software licensing methods, distribute cracks, or obtain or use commercial software or media in violation of its license and/or for copyright violation. Do not ask for or give such help.

In that vein, I'm closing this thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.