iPhone 4S no longer holding a charge

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by xcalum, May 7, 2014.

1. xcalum macrumors newbie

My iPhone 4S is ~2.5 years old and it no longer seems to charge or hold a charge. I can leave it plugged in for a day or more and it will only charge 3-5% or it'll actually start to **lose** charge while plugged in. It'll also lose charge if I start doing anything while it's plugged in, like messenging or reddit. It also frequently disconnects/reconnects with my computer and my friend's computers as well as the wall socket and iTunes gives the error message: 0xE8000084

I had the battery replaced on Saturday but the problem still happens. I restored it to factory settings and set it up as a new phone, but it still won't hold a charge. I've also tried: switching power chords, switching which USB socket it's plugged into on my computer

I posted somewhere else and someone told me that they thought it was a logic board failure. If it is, what're my options? From googling round it seems like I'm SOL...

Any help would be super appreciated.

2. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

Did you take it an Apple store/ call Apple? Where did you get the battery replaced? If Apple did it then you ought to have a 90 day warranty for the replaced battery.

3. Tankmaze macrumors 68000

Tankmaze

If its logic board related then yes you're sol. Probably best option to take it to apple store and pay out of warranty repair.

4. xcalum thread starter macrumors newbie

I was planning on taking it to the Apple Store later this week. If it is a logic board issue then I'll probably just have to cut my losses, eh?

My plan was to take it to there this week. I didn't get it replaced at an Apple Store because it cost $30 more but it seems to be the phone and not the battery.

5. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

An out of warranty on an iPhone 4S will be rather steep now considering a new phone is due within a few months. If you have an old smartphone or find one amongst friends/ family or pickup something cheap on CL, it would make sense to hunker down until the new phone gets out. If you can't do that, maybe get a 5S now.

6. xcalum thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah it's definitely out of warranty. Well I'll take it to the Apple Store and try to talk to them, get it diagnosed and then see if I need a new phone.

Thanks.