iPhone 4S - No Service

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by RDowson, Oct 15, 2011.

1. RDowson macrumors 6502

RDowson

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Hey.

My iPhone 4S randomly comes up with 'searching' followed by 'no service'.

The only fix is to restart the phone. Done it 3 times now in 24 hours.

Anyone have any ideas to fix it?

Thanks.

2. RDowson thread starter macrumors 6502

RDowson

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Anyone?

3. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

I had this a couple of times.
    Additionally, when I had to reboot it said no service for about a minute until AT&T popped up.

I did test again (reboot) and same result. Takes some time for the handshake?

4. RDowson thread starter macrumors 6502

RDowson

It seems that when the signal goes from 3G to GPRS the problem is occurring. Like it drops the connection and can't reconnect without a restart.

5. RDowson thread starter macrumors 6502

RDowson

Done a network settings reset. So far, so good. Time will tell.

6. RDowson thread starter macrumors 6502

RDowson

Still doing it!!!

Almost certain it's when it switches from 3G to 2G it's somehow causing the signal to drop completely.

7. h1kar1 macrumors regular

h1kar1

I've been experiencing the same issue as well..

8. RDowson thread starter macrumors 6502

RDowson

I'm off to the apple store today. Hopefully they will have stock kept aside for replacements

9. alanmcdonley, Oct 16, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2011

alanmcdonley macrumors newbie

Been there

Ouch - sorry you all are talking about after activation... My problem was getting activated.

======

I had two iPhone4s, one acted as you describe. The answer was to plug in the cable, and complete the itunes config, reboot the phone, proceed with the activation, then wait, wait, wait till AT&T finally completed the activation. AT&T blames Apple, Apple claims AT&T very slow.

Going to AT&T store did not solve, calling 1800myiphone did not solve...but completing the itunes config did fix the no service problem.

(I was sure it was the SIM card, because moving the card from one phone to the other fixed the "No Service" problem on which ever phone had the "good SIM", but in the end the "bad SIM" was just fine, only needed a completed iTunes config.

10. Agentmckay macrumors newbie

Same here, got a new sim from ATT worked for about one day now it's back to No service and will not find signal without a restart. I'm going to do a restore and see if that helps. If not I will contact Apple and see what they have to say. If they cannot resolve I will return this phone and get another one.

11. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

Can someone so a test for me.

When you restart iPhone 4s, and the home screen comes up after reboot; does your phone say searching? Mine does not connect to AT&T network for about 15-30 seconds. Same goes for WIFI. Just hangs at searching.

Is this just normal?

12. NWI73 macrumors 6502a

I'm having this problem which started last night. Any suggestions?

13. t1m1t macrumors regular

This actually just happened to me now.... I noticed I had no service (sometimes happens in my house). So I went outside but still had no service. I decided to restart my phone and then regained service....

Is this a common problem, or do I have to get my phone replaced AGAIN (I'm on my third 4S...)??

14. HughJ macrumors regular

I too am getting this, iits happened to me three times now

15. Ballis macrumors 6502a

Apparently, this is a microsim issue. According to Telenor (Norways biggest carrier, the 4S requires a microsim created after march 2011 in order to work properly (don't really know if that timeframe applies worldwide, or just to their sim cards) They say to temporarily fix the problem while waiting for a sim replacement, turn the sim passcode lock off.

16. scousers macrumors member

I'm not sure when my sim card was made, but I found that whenever i put the 4s into airplane mode, then take it back out, it says "NO SERVICE" until i do a hard reset. :(

17. jromero9 macrumors newbie

Mine goes from AT&T to Searching... every 30 seconds. I took out the Sim card, cleaned it, popped in, still doing it. I have iOS 5.0.1 what should I do????

18. guineapig, Nov 16, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2011

guineapig macrumors regular

This happens to me too on a regular basis. Say 2 out of 3 times when I boot it up, I have to wait 30seconds to even a minute with "Searching" before it asks for my SIM PIN and finds a connection.
    Sometimes if I select, wait 5 seconds and deselect airplane mode, it instantly finds the network...