Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smooth2o

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2011
I've got two 4S's. One will appear as a drive on my PC when the USB cable is plugged in and one won't. Both install the drivers, both are brand new except that one is black and one is white :).

Any ideas?

smooth2o

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2011
BFG86: Does the other one not have anything in the camera roll?

Funny you should mention that. It doesn't and that's what I am trying to do, copy pictures from her camera roll in her old iPhone 3GS to her new 4S. Her 3GS does have pictures of course, and that phone mounted it's drive on the PC, but I couldn't mount the 4S to copy the pictures from the PC.

Suggestions?

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
She should have backed up the 3GS and restored the 4S from that backup.

Is that still an option or has she been using the 4S for too long and doesn't want to lose recent changes? If she'll allow it that's the best option.

Short of doing that I don't think she can get the photos back into the camera roll. There's no way to put photos into it other than restoring the whole phone from a backup. She'll have to import the photos into a folder on the computer and then use iTunes to sync those photos to the phone as photo albums. They'll show up in 'Photos,' but not the camera roll.

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
If both phones are iOS5, you could use the dreaded Photo Stream. :)

Install and enable Photo Stream on your PC. Enable Photo Stream on the 4S. Copy the photos out of the 3GS into the Photo Stream upload folder on the PC. When the pics appear in Photo Stream on the 4S, you can save them into the camera roll.

What could go wrong? :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.