iPhone 4s not charing & not detecting through PC

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iMAK79, Dec 26, 2013.

1. iMAK79 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

I have an iPhone 4s with IOS 6.1.1. Suddenly it stopped charging through PC "Mac and Win" while the same cable is still charging through a wall socket and a battery bank. I have used another cable and with the same result. I have tried different PCs and with the same reslut. I think the cables are healthy but don't know where the problem is. This is just happened recently. I have the latest iTunes installed.

Please help me as I want to upgrade to the latest IOS.

Thank you.

2. pramirez95 macrumors newbie

Maybe Apple's trying to weed out the 4S...

I have been seeing more and problems with the iPhone 4S ever since iOS 7 started rolling out. Recently my moms iPhone 4S had the wifi/bluetooth chip fried since she updated to the new OS. But it wasn't just her phone. I've seen tons of other people on other forums with the same problem after updating, but only the 4S being affected after the update. The guy at the Apple store implied the update is what fried the chip. And now I see the problem you're having with your 4S.

I guess my point to you is first, do your own research on the wifi/bluetooth chip problem and then decided whether you really want to update your phone. I would tell you not to update.

Second, maybe take your phone to the Apple store and see what they tell you. For my mom they made her get a new phone since she was out of warranty, but gave her $200 for the phone to be recycled.....much higher than we expected.

Maybe Apple's trying to weed out the 4S for some reason and decided to compensate her by giving her more money for her damaged phone so she could upgrade to the 4S?

I don't know. That's just my theory but I've been wanting to get it out there for a while. Good luck with your phone!

3. sammy-boy macrumors regular

Check your iPhone charger port for any fluff/dirt that could have collected in there, or any moisture damage to the pins. Could be causing problems connecting to the data/charging cable.

4. Nevaborn macrumors 65816

Nevaborn

Are they after market cables ? I had about 7 go on me last year, they all started to not sync properly and then stopped charging

5. NickRichyRich, Dec 26, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2013

NickRichyRich macrumors member

The cables have to be Apple branded for the iPhone to be able to sync. This is something that was included in IOS 7. People have thought that this is Apple's way of combating certain claims in China with peoples iPhones catching on fire.

Something else to look at is the dock itself. As some other people have been saying check the dock to see if there is anything obstructing the cable. The outer pins of the dock are responsible for charging explain why you can still charge the phone with your wall power brick. The inner pins are responsible for syncing and transmitting data to your computer. If there is something that is obstructing these pins then you are going to have some issues syncing like you are describing.

6. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

As above check the charger port if it's full of fluff

7. iMAK79 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have two Apple branded cables which I was using them to sync my phone. I have also cleaned the dock but still not charging and itunes not detecting the phone.

Now the most important thing than upgrading to IOS7 is backing up my data which I can't at the moment.

Any clue?

8. iMAK79 thread starter macrumors newbie

I noticed that when i plug it in while its off the Apple logo appears and the phone turns on but will still not charge!!!