iPhone 4S on AT&T/Verizon in Houston, TX -- Some help needed

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by arlo19, Nov 30, 2011.

1. arlo19 macrumors newbie

I live in the Mission Bend area of Houston and spend most of my time there, and I'm about to get my 4S. But before I do that, I figured I'd make a thread here and see if I could get some input from some folks living in Houston with regards to data speed and call quality with either of these two carriers. I might as well mention that I've lurked the sub-forum for information on this subject and I haven't really found anything helpful since the 4S literally just got out.

So, if anyone from Houston whom owns an iPhone 4S with either Verizon or AT&T is reading this right now, could you please share your real, day-to-day experiences in terms of call quality and overall data usage (web browsing, downloads, streaming...)?

Normally, I tend to do more web browsing than calling people, and I most of time am connected to a Wi-Fi network. To be honest, I think the only thing that is pushing me away from getting the Verizon iPhone 4S is the fact that AT&T has this HSDPA+ capability which sounds cool for using data, and while theoretically this is the faster iPhone out there, real world experience is another story. However, Verizon is well-known for its great quality in terms of calls and overall consistency with data speeds and whatnot. So, I guess I'm kind of in a dilemma here.

Thanks.

2. takeshi74 macrumors 601

You need to consider real world coverage specifically where you need it. Verizon beats at&t for me but I'm never in the Mission Bend area (always in the loop).

Why do you need data usage info? The amount of data I (or anyone else) use doesn't mean anything to you. Speed test results I can see as a valid question in this context but you can find speed test results in plenty of existing threads.

3. arlo19 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for posting. I probably wasn't clear enough, but by data usage in that context I just meant real world experience when browsing the web, streaming music, downloading apps, and all these cool things that consume data. Might as well add that that's also why I asked if others could please share their overall, day-to-day experience of using the 4S doing these things, since that's quite different than looking at speed tests using the Speedtest.net application, in my opinion.

Anyway, I'm leaning towards Verizon -- it's just more reliable. Any other comments on the subject will be appreciated.

4. pilot1226 macrumors 6502a

pilot1226

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

According to the recent news story on the MR main site the difference between Verizon and ATT call success rate is less than 1%. Personally I have Sprint and have dropped less than 5 calls in 24 months. So in reality figure that you could drop 1 in 100 more calls with ATT. And remember it's an average. I drop less than 3 calls per year; someone elsewhere in the country might drop 3 per day.

IMO ATT has a better plan system and unlimited mobile tomobile minutes while VZ does not.

5. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

6. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

They both have 30 day return policies. I'd just give them a test run and see how it goes. Pick the service you are leaning towards first. If it's sufficient, stick with it. If not, give the other a try.

7. risk235 macrumors member

I have Verizion and I get a good signal all over Houston. Of course there are spots where the signal isn't perfect but for the most part it works for me since I work at one spot one day and the next day I'm across town. Basically I work all over Harris County. My data speeds average between 600kps-2.5mbps depending on what part of town and the time of day.

8. mpossoff macrumors 68020

I've heard AT&T has great coverage in Houston?

9. pilot1226 macrumors 6502a

pilot1226

I'm not sure I agree with Rootmetrics. I've seen first-hand the data speeds in my area near NYC for Verizon, Sprint, and AT&T and AT&T blows them all away, yet Rootmetrics only gives them 3 bars for data. That's insane.

10. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

Since AT&T is headquartered in or near Houston, I would suffice it to believe that they would also have the best overall coverage for that area, Verizon being either on-par or a very close second. With the AT&T iPhone 4S you will enjoy HSPA+ 14.4 Mbps connection speeds versus Verizon's EV-DO REV A 3.1 Mbps connection speeds.

11. arlo19 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the feedback, guys.

@lordofthereef: this is definitely a great advice, and should my already-purchased contract with Verizon take an unexpected turn for whatever reason, I will move to take advantage of this 30-day return policy. Thank you for bringing this up -- it hadn't crossed my mind until now.

@asleep: that's a nice application, thank you. I've been toying with it for a bit and I like it. Also, apparently for the area I live in AT&T's signal seems to be lacking in strength.

@risk235: that's good to know. That's almost exactly my case these days -- I'm in Sugar Land now and in a few minutes I'm going to be in another place dozens of miles away. Thank you for sharing that piece of information here.

@mpossoff & Kyotoma: yes, one of AT&T's main headquarters is located in Houston. I at first thought too this meant they had an excellent coverage all over the city and dropped calls and other stuff like that didn't exist, but unfortunately that appears not to be the case for many people. During the last week or so I've had the opportunity to have a Verizon iPhone 4 with me to make calls, browse the web, stream music, and so forth, and I've noticed that always or most of the time no matter where I was I'd have three or four bars of signal, which attests to the consistency of the network. Voice calls sounded great, and the overall experience with it has been great so far. Moreover, frequently when I spoke to friends of mine and family members who own an iPhone 4 with AT&T I'd notice the call quality wasn't so clear, it definitely felt different. The owner of this iPhone previously had AT&T as his carrier and apparently the service wasn't as great as you would expect from a company that's headquartered in Houston.

I'm going to give Verizon a shot, and actually I ordered my 4S online a few days ago, so let's see how this goes. And again, thanks for the feedback everyone. Feel free to comment on anything else.