iPhone 4S on Koodo?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AmbiguousNinja, Oct 5, 2011.

1. AmbiguousNinja macrumors regular

AmbiguousNinja

Hey everyone, I'm completely new to iOS (I know how to use it but as to owning, I've never had the chance to own a iOS device) and I also need a phone! I plan on buying an unlocked/off contract iPhone 4S (after it's released, of course) and using it on a Koodo plan because according to my calculations, it's about $1000 cheaper in the long run (3 years). I don't need 3G and I will get unlimited text and enough talk time so I'm perfectly fine off contract. My question is, can I do this? Can I just buy a SIM card from Koodo and use it in my iPhone? Thanks a lot!

2. layton, Oct 13, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2011

layton macrumors newbie

You should be able to do this and I'm considering the same thing but I might go speak with a Koodo rep first. The SIM card should be free - you only pay for the plan.

The other option is to get the iPhone 4S on Tab and get the $150 discount from Koodo and then have them unlock it after 3 months for $50. You must pay back the $150 but get 10% of your bill towards it every month. If you leave before it's paid off, you must pay back the balance.

When you say you don't need 3G, do you mean data? If you don't need it, why get an iPhone? Will you only use the data over WiFi when available? You do have the option of getting a data add-on from Koodo as well.

3. Yofi macrumors member

Personally I would go for a three-year contract rather than a tab arrangement like Koodo and Virgin offer if you're not planning on cancelling before that. I did the math when I was considering it, and with a $65/mo. phone bill (the cost of a basic iPhone plan with my provider, Fido) it would take you over six years to pay off your tab, yikes! :eek: That's more than twice as long as it takes to pay it off through your normal contract. Essentially it's like the mainstream companies are paying you about 14 bucks ($500 ÷ 36 months) a month for being under contract, which ain't too shabby.

4. layton macrumors newbie

The problem with the contract is that the plans are not nearly as good, at least for what I want. Also, if you want a new phone in a year or two, you can sell the unlocked phone and buy a new one rather than deal with upgrades or cancellations.

5. Yofi macrumors member