iPhone 4S or 5 or Samsung Galaxy S2?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by caspersoong, May 21, 2012.

1. caspersoong macrumors 6502a

I am planning to buy a proper smartphone. However, I already have a Mac, and an iPad (3rd Gen). Thus, I am puzzling whether to get a cheaper Samsung Galaxy S2 (converted to USD is around 480) or an iPhone (without contract - around 670 USD).
    My iPad is great for doing everything Apple, with all the iOS-specific apps, fast performance, and everything. I can get all the killer apps. If I get an iPhone, what is the benefit over the GS2? iCloud integration but I only benefit from iCloud for notes, reminders, calendar, contacts, and the rest I don't really use. I won't be able to customise much (I miss customising a little after switching from Windows), no access to Android-specific apps, no Flash on the go (just in case I need it - I use the Internet more on the go), and camera quality is similar right? I do not see any more benefits of shelling out a ton of money for an iPhone when the only benefit is iCloud integration. Am I missing something?
    Or should I wait for iPhone 5? But aren't my concerns still about the same in this case unless Apple does something absolutely revolutionary?
    Thanks for all your help!

2. rever3nce macrumors 6502a

rever3nce

iphone will definitely be different this time around, if you have the patients to wait , then I would say new iphone. otherwise you have a mac and ipad, get the iphone 4 or 4s, I would get the 4s. They work great hand in hand!

good luck on whatever you choose though. in the end its what you use and what you are going to like

3. stomer macrumors 6502a

Any apps purchased with your iPad can be installed on any of your iOS devices. If you were to go for a non-iOS device you might have to purchase to same software again.

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

iPhone if:
    you want a phone you can use compfortably in one hand
    latest updates
    better quality apps

SG if:
    you don't want timely security / feature updates

5. caspersoong thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the replies but I already have awesome apps on the iPad and not I would only use the phone for stuff that are not much better on the iPad than a phone and more convenient on the phone such as Facebook, Twitter, checking mail, Skype calls, etc. These apps would be free. I need the processor mainly for less lag.

Edit: I want to want the iPhone but I do not see much more benefit for me compared to SGS2...

6. Jett0516 macrumors 6502a

Jett0516

7. Jdyowa macrumors newbie

Id go with the s3 if you can wait. You already have iPad so the iphone might be redundant. I personally prefer android to ios, but thats me. Just because apple makes it doesn't mean it is always better. Iphone gas nice build quality but phone is small and ios badly needs update or make over. Plus I prefer the open os. But its still up to you. Good luck

8. SevengerNC macrumors regular

SevengerNC

iPhone all the way. The fact that you already have an iPad 3 doesn't mean you won't use the iPhone as much. In fact, you already know how to operate it so it will much easier to learn.

I've had iPhone 3's to my current 4S and iPads 1,2 & 3. Best products (man toys) I've ever purchased.

I bought a Saumsung Galaxy Tablet last summer but exchanged it for an iPad after a week - never regreted doing so.

9. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

iPhone = no lag
    SGS2 = laggy scrolling, due to Android

10. mastsethi macrumors member

If you want a bigger display. S2 should be a fine choice!

11. Feed Me macrumors 6502a

Feed Me

Pixel density on the S2 is a bit naff compared to the iPhone.
    Well.
    A lot naff.
    You'll definitely notice the difference in quality coming from the iPad 3.

12. Eddy Munn macrumors 6502

Eddy Munn

HTC One X or Samsung Galaxy S3 would be better Android options than the S2, or even the Galaxy Nexus which runs the beautiful stock Android 4 ICS.
    Or, play the waiting game and see what happens at WWDC.

13. Jb07 macrumors 6502

If you care about having all your iPad apps on your phone, timely updates, and great software, then go with the iPhone.
    If you want a larger screen, more customizability, and most iPhone apps, get the Galaxy SII or GSIII. The GSII was much better than the GSI and is still a great phone. Updates will still be pretty timely (assuming you are not in the United States). The Galaxy SII is neither slow nor laggy, don't take the opinions from someone who hasn't used one and/or dismissed it after ONE bad experience (because apparently if one person has a bad experience with a phone, every single one of those phones is bad).
    Also, read reviews and comparisons, play with both phones, and decide which is best for you. Both are great phones, neither is the best one for everyone.

14. Jdyowa macrumors newbie

thats not true

That's what custom firmware is for. My SGII is way faster than an iphone.