iPhone 4s or iPhone 5 in June?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Sedrick, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

..lot of discussion about the iPhone 5 coming out in June, but I don't think they'll jump up a whole number just to introduce some software updates.

I think it would take a physical change, like redesign from the 3Gs to 4 to jump a whole number. 3.8" screen perhaps and new processor.

I think all we'll see in June is a 4s with a bunch of software changes.

What do you think would warrant a whole number jump?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The iPhone 5 is not the official name, but one we all are calling it. Similarly before the iPhone 4, many people were calling it iPhone 4G, iPhone 4Gs, etc.

We really don't know the name apple will call it, maybe it will be the IP5, maybe it will be called the "Super Deluxe mostly improved iPhone 4" Only Jobs and apple's marketing department know.

3. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

If the carriers roll out 4G service, that would warrant an iPhone 5 moniker.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

AT&T is no where near ready to roll out 4G. Heck they just bought more 1.92 billion dollars worth of 700Mhz spectrum from Qualcomm. They should have already allocated the spectrum like last year or even earlier.

While I cannot speak about non-US carriers and their preparedness for 4G, clearly AT&T is behind the eight ball compared to their competitors (T-Mobile, VZW, Sprint) who are already rolling out 4G phones