iPhone 4S or wait for iPhone 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iCHiRS, Oct 17, 2011.

1. iCHiRS macrumors member

Greetings all...

First off, this isn't a post in which I'm asking others to make up my mind for me. I just want to know the pros and cons of the 4S and if you think I should wait for the i5. Gimme your 2 cents...:D

Ok...so...I have to wait till Nov. 25th before I'm able to upgrade at the full discount price for the iPhone 4S. So I have plenty of time to think about it.

This is how I'm looking at this situation...

A: I take and edit A LOT of photos on my iPhone 4 and from what I've seen
    the iPhone 4S's pix are pretty damn good.
    B: The dual core processor. Yeah, I could do with the extra speed :)
    C: Siri...meh....don't know how often I'd "use" her ;)

I could wait for the iPhone 5, but something tells me that there wouldn't be many new features. A larger screen perhaps? That'd be nice. Maybe a 10mp camera? But what if it only came with a larger screen and the same guts as the 4S...? Then BOOM! The iPhone 5S comes out and it's beyond what the 5 was. Then I'd be SOL. :(

So what I'm thinking is this:

Upgrade to the 4S....pass on the 5 and wait for the 5S.

Sorry if this post doesn't make a lot of sense, I worked 11hrs today and have had a few beers. Ok. More than a few. Anyhow, what do you all think?

Pros?
    Cons?
    Wait?
    Don't wait?

2. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

It's a very easy decision. I'm waiting. This will be the first year I pass on the latest iPhone. It just doesn't appeal to me, especially with it's gimmicky Siri.

Others may be easily amused, but there's no place in my workflow for an obnoxious synthetic voice. If I want laughs I'll go to a good comedy club.

I'll let others be Apples lab rats while they play around. I've got much better things to do.

3. iCHiRS thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I passed on the 3GS...it wasn't enough for me to upgrade.

4. RotaryP7 macrumors 6502a

It's up to you. I wouldn't wait. Get the 4S. Honestly, who knows when the 5 is coming out. If you can upgrade, use it. I just got the 4S and I don't regret getting it at all. Plus, it's 2011, you need a dual core processor in your hand. :cool:

5. iCHiRS thread starter macrumors member

That's just it, though. I could upgrade and, knowing my luck, the 5 could be released a few months down the road (although that's highly unlikely). So if I upgraded...I'd pretty much have to wait for the 5S...

6. thenerdal macrumors 65816

iPhone 4S isn't worth the upgrade from an iPhone 4. Wait for the iPhone 5 which should be released in Spring.

There isn't really a speed difference in both.

7. Markiie macrumors 6502

Markiie

iphone 5 will be released 10/5/2012. you could sell your 4s for 300 and save up to pay difference on the 5 by then. thats what im doing.

8. jk4lebron23 macrumors 65816

jk4lebron23

im waiting for the 5...the 4s just isn't worth it to me from the 4...and one of my friends who work at an apple distribution center said they heard the 5 is coming in the spring...but who knows if that accurate :eek:

9. Amnesia87 macrumors 6502

10. imeth macrumors regular

Just wait, you don't know what will happen to you from now and till then. Life is too short, I want to enjoy the best out of what life has to offer.

11. AIP5 macrumors 6502a

Personally speaking, I don't think anyone with a 4 has a reason to upgrade to the 4S. The 4's speed is fast enough for most purposes as I see it, and I don't understand why people are suddenly treating what used to be the best phone camera on the market like crap. It's still a damn nice camera. 4S is definitely better, without a doubt, but I see no real reason to upgrade to 4S from 4 just because of the camera.

I'd definitely recommend you wait for the 5. That little extra speed bump is relatively minute, and the camera you have on your 4 is plenty good enough. Siri... it's really cool white it lasts. And then it gets boring.

I'd say you should definitely wait. Now if you had a 3GS, then it's a whole different story. Upgrade now if you have a 3GS, unless you can make your 3GS last another year. Then wait until the 5!

12. aphexacid macrumors 6502a

aphexacid

I wasnt really impressed with the 4s when i got it monday morning. Mostly because i had this deflated feeling thanks to UPS and their BS screw up. I was supposed to get it friday like everyone else, but they "missed" mine.

First impression was...Yep, it definitely looks like the phone i've been using for a year and a half.....oh look at that, the screen is yellow compared to my 4....HOT DAMN this thing is fast!........

then the camera really impressed me. and it continued making me like it more and more.

I upgrade every year. havent been disappointed yet!

iphone users get one phone a year, and then we sit back and enjoy while all the android users snarl and cry themselves to sleep because the phone they JUST bought last week, has already been eclipsed by the latest android.