Iphone 4s or...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thesk1llerz, Oct 19, 2011.

1. thesk1llerz, Oct 19, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2011

thesk1llerz macrumors member

thesk1llerz

Before i begin this discussion, I want to say that anyone that responds doesnt turn this into andriod vs iPhone flam war. Stick with facts and observations. Say iPhone is better because.... Or andriod is better because....

Ok so now the thread:D
    I'm in a small dilemma, I'm soon eligible for a smartphone upgrade and I want to get a smartphone. So the obvious answer would be iPhone right? But then I saw the Galexy Nexus yesterday and it was the first phone besides the iPhone to make me go "wow"
    So I made a comparison of them and would like some additional input

iPhone 4s (likes)
    - looks beautifully
    - runs smoother than silk
    - Siri (I know andriod has this as well but Siri seems cooler)
    - texting interface
    - iOS
    iPhone 4s (dislikes)
    - app store is really restricted
    - AT&T only has HPSA+

Nexus Galexy (likes)
    - looks beautifully
    - andriod is a more open system
    - it's different (i have been using iOS since 2008 and I also own an iPad)
    - the curved glass design
    - lack of ports (I hated how andriod always had a billion ports and expansion slots I personally would never use)

Nexus Galexy
    - app store is open and it's possible to download malware
    - I don't have much experience with andriod so it would proablu be a slight learning curve
    - so many types of andriod versions and you have to depend on companies/carriers to get them
    - might not be on AT&T
    Things I don't care about
    - dimensions
    - specs (if you would like to know Galexy Nexus has better specs)
    - 4G vs 3G
    - cloud or cloud related stuffs
    - NFC

So anyone with similar decision like this tha has to make it or has made it please post your opinions
    Thanks
    ~ Sk1llz:apple:

2. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

Look at it this way:
    With the iPhone you have an easy, stable os, that looks nice
    The android is different.

3. thesk1llerz thread starter macrumors member

thesk1llerz

Well the nexus is running ice cream sandwich which might be a different name
    Another thing to add to the list of dislikes
    - the absurd names andriod has

4. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

i told you it was different:
    IOS/ Iphone os has a boring name

5. d21mike, Oct 19, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2011

d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

HSPA+ is the fastest data network of the three so why is that a dislike. Also, seems to me that Apple App Store has the most Apps. Having an open app store is one of your dislikes of the android so not sure how both can be dislikes. Lastly, I think a big like about the iPhone is that all of your devices work together nicely. You said you have an iPad as well.

EDIT: My comment about HSPA+ was based on comparing the iPhone 4S on the three networks. Not sure what was going thru my mind on that one.

6. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

My HSPA+ comment was completely wrong. I was comparing iPhones on the three networks. Sorry.

7. MacJones macrumors 6502

What is so restrictive about the App Store? There are thousands of beautiful games, utility apps, sports, news, etc. Who cares if they all have to go through Apple first. Androids app store is a big mess with apps that don't work on your phone but work on others, no good games, etc. I've owned both an Android device (HTC Thunderbolt) qnd 3 iPhones. I switched back to the iPhone without an upgrade because I couldn't stand how unstable Android was and the lack of good games. As far as I can see the only thing Android has on iOS is Widgets but all they do is display what an app would without actually opening an app.

8. thesk1llerz thread starter macrumors member

thesk1llerz

The reason I have iOs devices is the only reason I haven't already gone for the nexus

And it's a like because it allows for a weider verity of software, but it's a dislike because one xp can download malware in the app store

9. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Phone vs. phone, the Galaxy Nexus > iPhone 4S. Period.

However, a phone is a connected device. Between the software, the carriers, and the services you use, it's not simply a MHz or pixel comparison.

To compare apples to apples (har har) you need to consider the App Store vs. Market, Google vs. iCloud, iTunes vs. ???, and so on. You need to consider the entire "system".

Between Amazon and Google and Samsung they are building an impressive "system". However, on this comparison, Apple > Amagung (Amazon+Google+Samsung). Apple offers a more polished and integrated experience.

It's not without it's faults. When Apple decides you need Newstand you get it whether you want it or not. It's not unlike the bloatware some carriers put on their phones, but Android does provide a more customizable experience. However, customizability and access to the file system are things techies like. For the masses, ease of use and integration of services trump bells and whistles.

So in the end what matters is what you need from a smartphone. And you have a choice, each with pros and cons. The Nexus Galaxy is a beautiful device, and if the Amagung system gives you the experience you are looking for, then go or it. As a former Android user I miss the flexibility (I plan on getting a small wifi Android tablet to play with) but I welcome the ease of use, the tight integration between phone, OS, apps, store, and cloud.

I'm still pissed I get icons shoved down my throat whether I like then or not, but that is a small price to pay. IMHO.

10. thesk1llerz thread starter macrumors member

thesk1llerz

Ok I think this has me convinced I think i will go into a store and demo the nexus Galexy and steal the iPhone 4s from a bud of mine for a an hour or so. Thanks for all the replies

----------

Should have mentioned I don't use the cloud or any cloud related software

11. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Then you are missing out on some of the coolest smartphone features, Android or iPhone.

Syncing of contacts and files, multimedia streaming, online backup, etc. Android is already integrated with the cloud through Google. Apple just leapfrogged over Google in my opinion.

Not to mention Dropbox. Coolest cloud app....

12. MacJones macrumors 6502

I forgot to mention bloatware! At least on Verizon it was absolutely ridiculous. I'll look on my phone when I get home but if I had to guess there were probably 30 pre-installed bloatware crap apps that I couldn't delete. Apple has pre-intalled apps but at least most of them are usefull.

13. thesk1llerz thread starter macrumors member

thesk1llerz

I guess I'm just really old school ;)

----------

Is possible to delete tis bloatware?

14. MacJones macrumors 6502

You can only delete the bloatware if you root your phone. It's not as easy as jailbreaking.

15. thesk1llerz thread starter macrumors member

thesk1llerz

Ah I see ok thanks for the responses

16. WannaGoMac macrumors 65816

Select your OS and then the hardware.

17. thenerdal macrumors 65816

iOS is for people who want to have someone else choose for them, while Android is for people who want to decide for themselves. It's about customization and control over the mobile experience and who chooses. Think of iOS like a gated community, where Apple determines which apps can live there and controls the property and its landscaping. That's a place many people want to live.

Others want to personalize their residence, something Android offers more of with features like widgets. Customization options are even better in Ice Cream Sandwich. For example, users can now resize widgets and more easily place them on the homescreen of their choice. They also can place oft-used apps in the Favorite Tray for easy access. Then there is a recent-apps chooser, to help users better use the multitasking features. Which operating system is the better multitasker? In my experience it's Android.

Ice Cream Sandwich also greatly improves the photography experience. There is continuous focus, stabilized zoom and claimed zero shutter-lag (perhaps that last one depends on device). There's also a new browser, offering better rendering and easier access to tabs.

So, IMO, iPhone 4S is outdated.

I'd say try the Galaxy Nexus.

18. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

Choose the OS first.

iOS -> iPhone 4S of course

Android -> Nexus is the only phone I will consider since you get official updates the earliest and it's not filled with crappy skins from Manufacturers

Windows -> Not really sure what hardware to choose. HTC Titan looks good but the low resolution on a 4.7" is a deal breaker. Maybe the new Samsung Focus S which is like a Galaxy S2.

19. sentinelsx macrumors 68010

Nice. Your fox news agenda is still going strong on other threads. Copy paste much?

20. realchimera macrumors regular

Isn't Samsung a brand from a, at most, second tier world country?

21. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

And your point is? :confused:

22. realchimera macrumors regular

My point is do you bother to buy an american car, even if it's a cadillac

23. MacJones macrumors 6502

Which apps can you get from the Android Market and not from the App Store?

In my experience the only thing you can customize on Android that you can't do on iOS are widgets and pre-installed skins (at least with HTC Sense). If you want to customize any more than that you have to root the phone which isn't as easy as jailbreaking on iOS.

Android isn't any better at multitasking than iOS is, all Android multitasking does is drain your battery faster updating apps in the background that you're not using. The batteries are bad enough, they don't need any help draining faster. And now-a-days with capped data plans this can be a huge negative if all of your multitasking apps are updating in the background.

iOS is not outdated by any means. Because iOS is optimized for the iPhone it's sleek, smooth, and clean and does everything a phone should do without all the annoying bugs and lag associated with Android. Last month I got a single email pushed to my phone and it alerted me 72 times in a row non-stop until I rebooted the phone. It then proceeded to alert me 6 more times before it finally stopped. I was ready to throw the phone at a wall.

Sure Ice Cream Sandwich looks nice and all but no phones are going to upgrade to it any time soon and the Galaxy Nexus is exclusive to Verizon at least for awhile. My Thunderbolt still can't update to Gingerbread that's been out for what almost a year now? There's no excuse for that especially when 2.3 came out before the Thunderbolt did.