iPhone 4S Otterbox Issue

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by jrdrag1201, Mar 16, 2012.

1. jrdrag1201 macrumors newbie

Hello, I am here to hopefully get some help.

I have an Otterbox Defender series case for my iPhone 4S.

But, my screen looks greasy, constantly. As in, only the screen protector. The screen on the Phone itself isn't greasy-looking.
    This isn't the water-mark issue, where you see a bubble on the screen or whatever. This screen protector really looks greasy. Is there a fix for this, or am I just going to have to get a griffin survivor (which I was thinking about anyway..)

2. krs7272 macrumors regular

krs7272

Nope I used a defender before and the built in protector is just like you described. Always greasy looking

3. drewv macrumors newbie

Has anyone ever tried to put an additional screen protector over the Otterbox one?

4. krs7272 macrumors regular

krs7272

I doubt it. I know many remove the built in one.

5. drewv macrumors newbie

Why don't you think that it would work? It would be nice to not have to cut it out since the built in one helps keep out some dust.

I think I have a couple of cheap screen protectors laying around somewhere. If I can find them I might have to experiment to see if it works at all.

6. guccigucci88 macrumors 6502a

guccigucci88

I have an anti-glare screenshield and it worked fine with my defender.

7. krs7272 macrumors regular

krs7272

I suppose I never thought of applying a different on over the otterbox should work after being trimmed

8. ECUSnare macrumors regular

I think this is because the iPhone screen has a special coating that helps aid against the oils your hands and face. The Otterbox screen protector doesn't have this same coating, so the possibility of oil buildup is much greater. I have the defender and find myself constantly cleaning the screen.

9. Nocturnal-G macrumors newbie

You guys should try synthetic wax... I made a thread on it using a screen protector. I'm sure it would work similarly for the case.

10. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

I returned mine the other day because of this same issue. The screen protector makes the screen look pretty bad after a while.

11. bigjim83 macrumors 6502

I popped out the built in and then threw a screen protector onto the phone. I know it won't fight dust as much now but I like it more for the drop protection.

12. krs7272 macrumors regular

krs7272

Issue I saw was the earpiece area has no screen protector on original and dust would enter that way. So now with one on phone you won't get it trapped under built in one.