iPhone 4S overhaul

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by MSFT, Feb 17, 2014.

1. MSFT macrumors member

Dec 14, 2013
    Well, the one day I don't put my 23 month old 4S in its case, I drop it and the screen cracks. I am 2 weeks away from being eligible for an upgrade (ATT). Also, the battery life has been lousy recently.

Considering my options. I am a pretty handy person.

Should I:

1) Order the replacement screen assembly and battery, fix it myself, and keep it for as long as I can (maybe until the 6 comes out).

2) Same as above, but sell on Gazelle for $135 and get a new iPhone on my upgrade date.

3) Just wait two weeks for my upgrade and keep the broken screen 4S as a backup?

I figure while I have the phone open, I can clean out 2 years worth of crud and have the closest thing to a new phone when I finish.

2. T5BRICK macrumors G3

Aug 3, 2006
    Just wait two weeks and upgrade to the 5s, unless you have a compelling reason to wait 7 or 8 months for the iPhone 6 to come out.

Or...you could contact your carrier and see if they'll let you upgrade a couple of weeks early. They may let you.
  3. Altemose macrumors G3

Mar 26, 2013
    Elkton, Maryland
    If you wait for the iPhone 6 you will miss out on the 5s. The 5s is a fantastic phone and I love it.
  4. Tastowe macrumors newbie

Jan 12, 2013
    Kerrville Tx
    You should not drop your iPhone 4S and you did crack your iPhone 4S screen lousy dude:(
  5. mripadmini macrumors regular

Aug 24, 2013
    I'd fix the 4s just In case you ever wanted to use it or give it to someone
  6. ninety5eclipz macrumors member

Jan 29, 2014
    Fix the 4s and since your contract is almost over have at&t unlock it. Hold into it or sell it for some extra cash. You can prob get 200-250 on ebay if it's in decent shape.
  7. MSFT thread starter macrumors member

Dec 14, 2013
    Thank you everyone for the replies.

I am in no rush to get the latest and greatest phone.

I did replace the screen and battery (Grand total of ~$30), and it is like a brand new phone. Battery lasts all day again!

Maybe I'll sell it and get a 5c or 5s, I'm still undecided!