iPhone 4S owners who got a iPad 2

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mark28, Oct 29, 2011.

1. mark28 macrumors 68000

If you were allowed to keep one of them, which one would you keep?

I want a new mobile device on the road if I don't want to bring along my MBP. So it's either going to be an iPhone 4S or the iPad 2.

What I like about the iPhone 4S is that it fits in your pocket if I'm not carrying a suitcase. What I like about the iPad 2 is able to read pdf's ( but on the other hand, if buy the iPad 2 mainly for reading ,I basically should wait for the iPad 3 with Retina display ).

2. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

They're really different devices, for different needs.

If you do a lot of traveling I assume the iPad will be a bit of hassle to carry around?

3. mcmul macrumors 6502

Isn't the iPad aimed at travellers who don't want to take heavy laptops?

4. Catdogchicken macrumors regular

If I had to choose i would keep my iPhone 4S. But they are different beasts, my iPhone never leaves my side on a normal day to day basis, but my iPad gets more use when based at home or when going away on holiday etc.

They compliment each other very nicely :)

5. Nohauk macrumors newbie

Both compliments each other very nicely!!! Would hate to make that choice :D

6. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

It depends on my options. If I can have a different smartphone that is sufficient for me needs I would keep the iPad. If I had to go back to a dumb phone I would keep the 4S. I have to have a good smartphone. All things being equal I get a lot more use out of the 4S as its with me 24/7.

7. gtmac macrumors 6502a

This is how I look at it as well.

I always have my iPhone it's an essential tool for work and productivity, and the occasional lack of productivity!

The iPad is a nice to have; great for movies on the plane, I travel a lot for work and I have it set up with a lot of work/productivity apps.

Sadly I still need my laptop most times for longer trips.

8. neile45 macrumors regular

why not bring both? Won't you need a cell phone wherever you go? If so, why not bring an iPhone over any other phone? If I had to choose, I would bring the iPad 2, but I'm not sure why you have to.....

Why,
    Bigger screen for my 40 year old eyes
    More Apps, like my magazine subscriptions, so I can read my magazines on it

9. Thetonyk123 macrumors 68000

Thetonyk123

Wait till march and if a new iPad 3 comes out get it!

10. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I'd keep my iPad. There are many other choices to make phone calls. The iOS experience on the iPad > than the iPhone 4S.

11. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

If I had to choose one, it would have to be my iPhone. It's the more essential of the two devices, for obvious reasons.

I could live with just my MacBook Pro and iPhone, but the iPad is perfect for times when I want to travel with something lighter and more convenient than my Mac. The Mac, however, is essential for high productivity tasks.

12. Maverick713 macrumors 6502

this. plus at my job what we use for tickets has an app and the clients I have visited find it easier to sign on my ipad rather than my iphone, but since my phone is 3g and not just wifi like my ipad I can updae my tickets when I don't have a wifi signal, and since there is not a jailbreak yet I can't tether yet. so they really do compliment one another. and for my school texts I can use iBooks which i prefer on my ipad to my iphone.

13. ShionoyaTamaki macrumors 6502

i have an iphone4S and ipad2.

The experience is totally different considering the iphone4s is basically a mini ipad2. Just the way you hold it.

The iphone4s can do basically everything the ipad2 does, but it feels cramped for long use. It is great being on the move like walking around or waiting for the train etc.

The iPad2 shines the most when you are comfortable at home using it for long periods of time on the couch while watching tv. You can use it with both hands and navigating it is much better because of the multitouch gestures not available on the tiny iphone screen.

14. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

I cannot fathom why so many people compare these two very different products. The only features they have in common are the OS & touch screen operation. I do not see this as a matter of choosing one over the other. Having both myself, they each have their uses.

That said, I'm left with the impression that some buyers cannot afford both. If that is the case, then no one knows better than you, which one will be the best for your needs.

15. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

I would hate to make that choice as well, and I agree with everyone above who says the iPhone and the iPad really do serve different purposes. But if I had to choose only one iOS device to own, I'd say iPhone. I have it with me every day, nearly 24/7. I can run pretty much my whole life from it (though unlike the iPad, I will have to squint).

I could get by with my iPhone and my 11" MacBook Air if I had to.

16. Smug Boy macrumors member

I just got a 4s and have had the original iPad since 2 weeks after it was released. I use the phone for its primary use (voice calls and emails) and Siri is great for getting stock quotes. I use the iPad for all of the apps and the generous size screen.

My favorite game is "We Rule" and playing it on the 4s is torture compared to the iPad.

Getting the 4s hasn't changed my pattern of when and where I take my iPad.

17. eyespii macrumors 6502

What kind of phone are you using now? If you're using a plain old flip phone, go for the iPhone. If you've already got a nice smartphone (android, iOS or WP7), consider the iPad 2 instead.

18. takeshi74 macrumors 601

The 4s since it's a phone. Thankfully, I don't have to make such a random decision and will keep both. As stated above, they serve very different purposes and I find both very useful. YMMV, as always. Are you not aware of your own needs and priorities?

19. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

What devices do you already own other than the MBP?

MM

20. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

The phone way, way over the pad ... b/c I have a laptop.

21. Don Kosak macrumors 6502a

Don Kosak

If I was forced to give one up, I'd give up the iPhone 4s.

The iPad gets more use than my MacBook or iMac. Every time I sit down with my MacBook I keep trying to launch Apps to get things done LOL.

It's nice having a phone with a great camera in my pocket with me when I travel though.

So, after giving up my iPhone 4s, I would use my iPad 2 to work harder, so I could afford to buy an iPhone 4s again. :D

22. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

I'm so used to having both, I cannot imagine having just one. They are too different and too useful to only have one.

23. wingsabr macrumors 6502

wingsabr

With Splashtop and Citrix, the iPad 2 and 4 S are the perfect pair.

24. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

My iPhone 4S is my phone. My iPad is just a convenience.

25. mark28 thread starter macrumors 68000

Ok thanks all. I guess I'll just buy both then :D