iPhone 4S - pictures/video upside down when emailed

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by CrzyIcE, Oct 20, 2011.

1. CrzyIcE, Oct 20, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2011

CrzyIcE macrumors member

Hi,

Whenever I take pictures or videos and I email it to someone or myself, the preview of the picture (in gmail), shows the picture just the way it was when I took the picture.
    But when I download it or click on it, it is completely upside down.
    This is not a problem for pictures since I can always rotate it back but it does this too for video which makes it un-viewable.

Does anyone know how to fix this problem and what is the cause of it?

Note: When I take pictures in landscape mode (with home button on the left, volume button on the top right) this causes pictures to be upside down.
    When I take pictures in normal mode, pictures become landscaped/sideways when clicked/download in email.

Thank you!

Edit: Just tried this on the 3GS and same thing happens (w/ iOS 4).

Edit2: This is not just through email but if I open my photos/video folder through my computer, they are also upside down/sideways.

2. faodao macrumors newbie

I am having the same issue. Is this something that needs to be dealt through Apple Techsupport?

3. Tigrra macrumors newbie

iPhone 4S - pictures/video upside down when emailed

Hi,
    I'm having the same problem. I'm wondering if this is related to left handed/right handed issue. I am a lefty and then take photos in portrait mode have tendency to turn camera the opposite whey from the right handed person. Wonder if this can be fixed in settings, rather then forcing myself to do unnatural things while taking pictures. Me too having problems with videos - mine are all upside down :( Please advice.

4. dotme macrumors 6502a

If they are the right way up on the phone, then the viewer/browser you're using to look at them later might not be reading the EXIF data correctly.

Try shooting with camera in landscape, home button on the RIGHT. That's the 0 degree rotation point for the iPhone with iOS4 and higher.

5. PPSH-41 macrumors newbie

Yes that works but we are trying to use the new features which Apple says to use the volume up button as a shutter button. To do that the home button is to the left. :(

6. Danv macrumors newbie

I thought I was crazy!!! Why is this happening! :(

7. rydama macrumors newbie

This happens because, starting with iOS4, apple stopped actually rotating the images, and instead just set the metadata to say "this is how it should be rotated by viewing software". Well, unfortunately, there is alot of software (gmail, hotmail, yahoo mail) that doesn't honor this metadata, so the image looks sideways or upside down. I have searched everywhere and not found an elegant solution that makes it easy to email, so I developed an app, Rotate Mailer, that emails your picture with the correct orientation. You can check it out in the app store.

8. Solina macrumors newbie

Someone know the latest feature of jailbrekaer Iphone that its camera feature uncovered now a days before.