Iphone 4s powerful enough?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kevinbomb123, May 27, 2012.

1. kevinbomb123 macrumors member

Long story shot i am going to have to buy a 4s tomorrow because my 4 kicked the bucket, i wanted to wait for iphone 5 but... I am just wondering is the iphone 4s a capable device? Will it handle ios6?

2. Xgm541 macrumors 6502a

What a silly question, of course it is capable. It does everything I need it to do very well. The only thing iOS6 might bring is higher ram usage which might be limiting on the iphone 4s but not till the point of not being usable.

3. CosmoPilot macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

Wirelessly posted

The 4S is Apple's flagship device. Why would it not handle the next OS?

4. nwmtnbiker macrumors 68000

nwmtnbiker

The iPhone4 was the flagship phone last year how'd it handle ios5?

5. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

6. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

Quite well, as I understand it. You having problems?

7. nwmtnbiker macrumors 68000

nwmtnbiker

No I've had zero problems with ios5 on the iphone4. But I would think the 4s is more capable than the 4 because of A5 for ios6.

8. bassanoclapper macrumors 6502

bassanoclapper

You could also buy a used iP4 and wait until October, if that is the refresh date most are expecting

9. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Capable of what? Your question is waaay to vague to even attempt to answer.

Look at the track record of iPhones. What do you think? How would we know any better than you? None of us are using IOS6.

10. shinobi-81 macrumors 6502

iOS 6 isn't out yet, but I'm 99% positive that iPhone 4S will support it.

11. charlieroberts macrumors 6502a

charlieroberts

When I export 4k footage from my RED onto my NAS, the iPhone sometimes stutters, and it gets quite hot. So I wouldn't recommend it for final cut X.

MAYBE for consumer stuff it should be sufficient.

:cool:

12. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

Not a chance that iOS 6 will work on a 4s. I know a guy at apple and he said it will turn your phone into a bomb and overheat the battery.

13. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

Don't get the 4S now. Buy a used 4, or even a cheap 3GS and wait it out. Anyone that locks into a 2 year contract on a 4S now, is going to regret it.

14. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Buy now. The 4S, is very well debugged, works very well and will for quite some time. Waiting is a crap shoot, it could have issues like the first iPhone 4 models, that had antenna issues.

Over my years buying Apple products that the second year after a major revamp is always a better product. Especially with iPhones.

My 3GS was a great phone, it would make calls where my iPhone 4 could not. My iPhone 4S in those very same geographic locations will make calls and get data no problem.

The huge difference between the iPhone 4 and the iPhone 4S is truly amazing.

15. saintforlife macrumors 6502a

This + 1000!

I can't believe people are still willing to get locked into older smartphones for 2 years knowing fully well the next gen phone is coming out in a few months, especially if you are member of a forum like this. If he buys a new 4S now, he will be almost 3 gens behind by the time his contract is up. While the 4S is Apple's flaship phone now, it will not be when the iPhone 5 comes out in Sep-Oct.

16. DollaTwentyFive macrumors 6502a

Plenty powerful enough. If you're always trying to stay ahead of the bleeding edge, you will never pull the trigger because there is always something new around the corner.

17. saintforlife macrumors 6502a

Ummm maybe with computers and Android phones. But with iPhones and iPad coming out at around the same time every year, there is no excuse for not trying to time your purchases to have the latest technology in your hands.

18. malnar macrumors 6502a

malnar

Will the 4S be able to play Bejeweled just as well as the 2014 iPhone? I'm really concerned about that. /sarcasm

You should realize people have different needs. I have very little need for the very fastest, most powerful phone out there. It's more of a "light game/music playing/camera device" to me than anything else. I don't own ANY of the processor-heavy games and never will. The hardest hit my iPhone's processor takes is running my Magellan GPS app. My iPhone 4 was on its death bed the past week and so I decided, thanks to my credit card's warranty program, to get a 4S. I'm thrilled with it. (And now that I've seen the upcoming iPhone 5 design, I'm especially thrilled! Really don't like the new back style.) It's going to handle all my needs for the next two years just fine.

19. DollaTwentyFive macrumors 6502a

I definitely see your point in that respect. I have been paying full retail for my phones and selling the old ones, so I guess I just always buy what I want. But the iPhone and iPad do seem to have pretty regular cycles, so I guess it doesn't hurt to time the purchases.

20. akuma13 macrumors 6502a

akuma13

^ exactly! i usually wait and get the variant version every other year. As much as the iPhone 5 will be tempting, i'll wait for the iPhone 5s that will come out next year.

21. Donka macrumors 68020

Donka

Personally I hope they do what they did with the latest iPad 2 and drop in a more efficient A5 in there. I returned the 4s because of the poor batterty life. If they improved that then I would stick with that over an iPhone 5 under the current design floating around.

22. aneftp macrumors 68040

You do realize the 3GS was actually a "3rd year model" of the original iphone 2007. The real "2nd year design iphone 3G" had it's share of problems like weak GPS unit.

Iphone 2007 (first gen), iphone 3G, iPhone 3GS are all really considered the same form factor iPhones.

23. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

I've had every iPhone since day one.

My post may have been misunderstood as I was talking in general terms.

----------

Not to mention the burned skin on one's palms :)