Iphone 4s powerful enough?

kevinbomb123

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 2, 2011
Long story shot i am going to have to buy a 4s tomorrow because my 4 kicked the bucket, i wanted to wait for iphone 5 but... I am just wondering is the iphone 4s a capable device? Will it handle ios6?

Xgm541

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2011
What a silly question, of course it is capable. It does everything I need it to do very well. The only thing iOS6 might bring is higher ram usage which might be limiting on the iphone 4s but not till the point of not being usable.

charlieroberts

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2007
When I export 4k footage from my RED onto my NAS, the iPhone sometimes stutters, and it gets quite hot. So I wouldn't recommend it for final cut X.

MAYBE for consumer stuff it should be sufficient.

:cool:

Arnezie

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2011
Not a chance that iOS 6 will work on a 4s. I know a guy at apple and he said it will turn your phone into a bomb and overheat the battery.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
Buy now. The 4S, is very well debugged, works very well and will for quite some time. Waiting is a crap shoot, it could have issues like the first iPhone 4 models, that had antenna issues.

Over my years buying Apple products that the second year after a major revamp is always a better product. Especially with iPhones.

My 3GS was a great phone, it would make calls where my iPhone 4 could not. My iPhone 4S in those very same geographic locations will make calls and get data no problem.

The huge difference between the iPhone 4 and the iPhone 4S is truly amazing.

saintforlife

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2011
Don't get the 4S now. Buy a used 4, or even a cheap 3GS and wait it out. Anyone that locks into a 2 year contract on a 4S now, is going to regret it.
This + 1000!

I can't believe people are still willing to get locked into older smartphones for 2 years knowing fully well the next gen phone is coming out in a few months, especially if you are member of a forum like this. If he buys a new 4S now, he will be almost 3 gens behind by the time his contract is up. While the 4S is Apple's flaship phone now, it will not be when the iPhone 5 comes out in Sep-Oct.

DollaTwentyFive

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2010
Parts Unknown
Plenty powerful enough. If you're always trying to stay ahead of the bleeding edge, you will never pull the trigger because there is always something new around the corner.

saintforlife

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2011
Plenty powerful enough. If you're always trying to stay ahead of the bleeding edge, you will never pull the trigger because there is always something new around the corner.
Ummm maybe with computers and Android phones. But with iPhones and iPad coming out at around the same time every year, there is no excuse for not trying to time your purchases to have the latest technology in your hands.

malnar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2008
This + 1000!

I can't believe people are still willing to get locked into older smartphones for 2 years knowing fully well the next gen phone is coming out in a few months, especially if you are member of a forum like this. If he buys a new 4S now, he will be almost 3 gens behind by the time his contract is up. While the 4S is Apple's flaship phone now, it will not be when the iPhone 5 comes out in Sep-Oct.
Will the 4S be able to play Bejeweled just as well as the 2014 iPhone? I'm really concerned about that. /sarcasm

You should realize people have different needs. I have very little need for the very fastest, most powerful phone out there. It's more of a "light game/music playing/camera device" to me than anything else. I don't own ANY of the processor-heavy games and never will. The hardest hit my iPhone's processor takes is running my Magellan GPS app. My iPhone 4 was on its death bed the past week and so I decided, thanks to my credit card's warranty program, to get a 4S. I'm thrilled with it. (And now that I've seen the upcoming iPhone 5 design, I'm especially thrilled! Really don't like the new back style.) It's going to handle all my needs for the next two years just fine.

DollaTwentyFive

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2010
Parts Unknown
Ummm maybe with computers and Android phones. But with iPhones and iPad coming out at around the same time every year, there is no excuse for not trying to time your purchases to have the latest technology in your hands.
I definitely see your point in that respect. I have been paying full retail for my phones and selling the old ones, so I guess I just always buy what I want. But the iPhone and iPad do seem to have pretty regular cycles, so I guess it doesn't hurt to time the purchases.

akuma13

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006
^ exactly! i usually wait and get the variant version every other year. As much as the iPhone 5 will be tempting, i'll wait for the iPhone 5s that will come out next year.

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
Personally I hope they do what they did with the latest iPad 2 and drop in a more efficient A5 in there. I returned the 4s because of the poor batterty life. If they improved that then I would stick with that over an iPhone 5 under the current design floating around.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
Buy now. The 4S, is very well debugged, works very well and will for quite some time. Waiting is a crap shoot, it could have issues like the first iPhone 4 models, that had antenna issues.

Over my years buying Apple products that the second year after a major revamp is always a better product. Especially with iPhones.

My 3GS was a great phone, it would make calls where my iPhone 4 could not. My iPhone 4S in those very same geographic locations will make calls and get data no problem.

The huge difference between the iPhone 4 and the iPhone 4S is truly amazing.
You do realize the 3GS was actually a "3rd year model" of the original iphone 2007. The real "2nd year design iphone 3G" had it's share of problems like weak GPS unit.

Iphone 2007 (first gen), iphone 3G, iPhone 3GS are all really considered the same form factor iPhones.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
You do realize the 3GS was actually a "3rd year model" of the original iphone 2007. The real "2nd year design iphone 3G" had it's share of problems like weak GPS unit.

Iphone 2007 (first gen), iphone 3G, iPhone 3GS are all really considered the same form factor iPhones.
I've had every iPhone since day one.

My post may have been misunderstood as I was talking in general terms.

----------

Not a chance that iOS 6 will work on a 4s. I know a guy at apple and he said it will turn your phone into a bomb and overheat the battery.
Not to mention the burned skin on one's palms :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.