iPhone 4S Preorder Question

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by rpungello, Oct 4, 2011.

1. rpungello macrumors member

I plan on preordering the iPhone 4S when it goes up for preorder on the 7th, but I've got a question regarding that.
    Since I've never preordered an iPhone before, I'm not entirely sure what the process is like.
    I currently have an Epic 4G on Sprint, so obviously I'm gonna need to port my number over to Verizon to buy the 4S, what I'm not sure on is whether or not that's possible.
    So, my question is when you preorder the iPhone, does it give you the option to port an existing number over?

2. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

3. rpungello thread starter macrumors member

I know, but I don't plan on staying with Sprint. Their service is... meh. And they haven't even gotten the iPhone yet. I'd imagine they'll be like AT&T when they first launched the iPhone – overwhelmed.
    And even not counting that, VZW's data rates on EVDO are faster than Sprint's are in my experience.

4. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

I'm on Sprint too and I almost switched to Verizon when they get the iPhone, but I did the math very carefully and my monthly bill was going to be substantially higher. Make sure you do your research first before making the plunge. From what I understand it will be available the same time everywhere, but even if you had to wait an extra week, we've waited this long right?

I can't speak for your service as everyone can have a different experience depending where they live but if what Apple said about the antenna technology in the new iPhone is true you'll see much better performance with a 3G iPhone than any other 3G Sprint phone.

Hey whatever you do, good luck and enjoy your shiny new iPhone, I know I will :)

5. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

When the iPhone 3GS came out, I was on Verizon. I preordered the iPhone 3GS from AT&T's website and they gave me the option to port my number over. I haven't preordered from Apple's website before, but I'm sure they will give you the option to port your number.

6. rpungello thread starter macrumors member

Well, on Verizon I'll be on my dad's family plan, which means it'll probably end up being cheaper.

Also, antenna technology can only go so far. Sprint's network backbone is significantly less powerful than Verizon's, so I'm guessing VZW will have faster speeds on average. My only regret about switching is the fact that I'll loose unlimited data, but since I plan on getting the hotspot, I get an extra 2GB from Verizon (4GB total), which should be fine.