iPhone 4S purchase and 2 different Apple ID question.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by RocketRed, Feb 9, 2012.

1. RocketRed macrumors 6502a

I bought an iPhone 4S with Apple ID number 1 (It's a .me email address but I won't list it publicly for obvious reasons).

Now all my App Store stuff is on my other Apple ID account (Apple ID number 2, which is also another .me email address).

When I bought the iPhone 4S with my Apple ID number 1, i purchased applecare too.

So my question is, if I ever have any problems with the phone and need to send it to apple for applecare, can I use my second Apple ID account? Or do I need to go to the apple store and transfer ownership, even though I own both accounts?

The reason why I prefer my second Apple ID to be the "owner" of the 4S is because my second account is an older account that has all my purchases, which is why I prefer that to be the main one.

2. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

I had the same issue when I set an @me acct. for mobile me which was set up after I had my original Apple ID. I set it up only for the "find my phone" feature, which at the time was the only way you could utilize find my phone. So I had had my original ID that I used on my phone for purchases, etc., then I had the second @me ID which I never used unless I had to use find my phone. It was stupid, but apparently a lot of people did the same thing back then.

All I did was call Apple and had the guy cancel my mobile me acct and ID. I thought I was going to have a tough time explaining exactly what I did, but he knew exactly why it happend and took care of it seamlessly. You don't really need that second ID. Just use your original ID for everything.

3. GraphicsGeek macrumors 6502a

Nah, I wouldn't worry about having problems. The AppleCare is tied to the serial number of the iPhone, not your AppleID. But there should be no reason to have more then 1 AppleID if you're the sole owner/user of your iPhone and iTunes account. Just keep purchasing with AppleID2 and you should be ok. The only reason you'd need AID1 is to look up your purchase history for the iPhone.

4. RocketRed thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you for the informative answers gentlemen.

I called Applecare Support and the lady confirmed the same thing. AppleCare is indeed tied to the phone and not the AppleID/iTunes Account.

I checked my mail today and received my AppleCare agreement letter. It has my address and name, but not my AppleID that I used to purchase the iPhone. So I guess my question is resolved.

Thanks again!