Iphone 4s rattling noise?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by GrannySmith123, Nov 21, 2011.

1. GrannySmith123 macrumors member

I hear a little tiny rattling sound in my iphone whenever i tap it against something (carpet, wall, hand). I first noticed this when i was going to charge my iphone i dropped it on the carpet like 2 inches above the ground and i hear the sound. I've read several other forum posts on this website claiming that the problem is caused by the camera lens. Im also thinking this is true because whenever i tap near the apple logo i hear the same rattling noise.

So im just wondering is this just a minor flaw or should i take it back to the att store and make sure. Do any of you guys hear this noise? I just got my iphone like five days ago too so i doubt anything would be broken.

2. Eager Beaver macrumors 6502a

Eager Beaver

I would immediately take back my 2yr/$2000 dollar device if it rattled like that!
    (I would also check out this thread) http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1276128

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

4. Resist macrumors 68030

You have got to be kidding me! A $600 plus cell phone rattles like a cheap toy and it's normal?

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The camera isn't cheap. I've used a few other high end smartphones that do it. Why don't most others make noise? Most others don't have a camera like that of the iPhone 4S. Even the 3Gs and iPhone 4 made noise.

6. Resist macrumors 68030

Well my iPhone 4 camera doesn't make any noise.

7. Pedro Julio macrumors member

$2000? What are you talking about?

----------

Hold it between your thumb and fingers in one hand, and lightly tap the back of it with your finger, toward the top end. You may hear a faint little rattle. That is the auto focus mechanism. Embedded in here:
    [​IMG]

The rattle should only be faint though. So you may hear it if your tap the phone or put it down on a hard surface. If you can hear it with every little motion then you should consider getting it checked out.

8. GrannySmith123 thread starter macrumors member

I only hear it when i drop it on carpet, tap it against something or tap near the camera. The noise is quite noticeable but its not loud. Shaking my phone doesnt make any noise for some reason.

This is normal right? Also why the heck has my iphone been getting insanely hot the past couple of days?

9. M Quick macrumors 6502

M Quick

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

It's not that kind of noise it's very distinct, and you only hear it I'd you really listen to it while you tap it up there. It does in no way sound like a cheap toy. If yours does, then it's broken.

10. Fudd macrumors member

Hi,

I just tried tapping my camera and it made more of a hollow sound. I didn't hear any rattle though.

11. GrannySmith123 thread starter macrumors member

So what should i do now? I doubt they'll let me exchange it without a restocking fee i already traded in my iphone 4 for this and i dont wanna go back agan. The sound bugs me it makes me feel like this iphone is broken and cheap. Still everything works fine should i still take it in?

12. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

It's not broken or cheap. It's part of the design of the camera. Auto focus is controlled by electro magnets when it's not in use its is free floating. There are two ways to stop this. One apple could power the camera when not in use causing excessive battery drain. Or they could add a parking magnet but it would add bulk and the auto focus would slow down!

13. GrannySmith123 thread starter macrumors member

Well thanks for the reassuring post lol. Still my ocd wont let me rest it feels so cheap now lol. But i guess theres nothing i can do about it .

14. M Quick macrumors 6502

M Quick

Even my $2.5k canon L-lens does this sound because the image stabilizer is that makes the sound and not the autofocus, the autofocus won't make a sound because it's IR-controlled, therefor no moving parts for AF, just a like a DSLR. The stabilizer though is what is most likely to rattle..

So no, you gotta live with it, no matter what phone or camera that uses a similar kind of camera on it. It's not iPhone specific.

----------

You know, even apple claims they have IR-autofocus, and IR doesn't use any moving parts for auto focusing on a "digital lens".

15. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

16. GrannySmith123 thread starter macrumors member

Lol maybe it was. But when i first heard this noise i freaked out like crazy i thought something was broken inside of my iphone. But then i was like how can something break when i dropped it like 1 inch above carpet??

17. GrannySmith123 thread starter macrumors member

One more question though i have an otterbox case on my iphone and even with the case onbit still rattles. The case is supposed to protect my phone if i drop it on concrete or pavement. Now if i drop my phone on concrete and it rattles like this what happens if i drop it on concerete? The rattling is bad enough on carpet if i drop it on concrete i feel like my camera is going to shatter.

Just making sure because everytime i drop my phone on carpet it feels like the camera will shatter. Is this normal with all phones some of my friends tell me theirs doesnt do this but then again they have 3gs and 4 not 4s.

So what should i do let it be or fight for another exchange?