Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

asprings

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 9, 2013
Hey guys,

So. I jailbreak my iphone 4s months ago and I tried to download something from cydia now when I restarted the phone it went into a gray screen with iOS6, asks for a wifi connection and then tries to activate but fails and says the servers are down and to wait a few minutes. It has been like this for some time.

I can still see my Verizon bars on top as well as my personal logo and wifi connection.

I am freaking out and have been searching google and can not find any help.:confused::confused::confused:

Please help my fellow iPhone lovers!

asprings

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 9, 2013
Still not working, it did get rid of the logo and when I reboot it, it says no service but comes back up again with the wifi logo on the top bar. but it still tells me to activate it and it still not recognizable on itunes.

I tried DFU mode but itunes failed to restore....

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
Still not working, it did get rid of the logo and when I reboot it, it says no service but comes back up again with the wifi logo on the top bar. but it still tells me to activate it and it still not recognizable on itunes.

I tried DFU mode but itunes failed to restore....

If you try to restore to 6.0-6.1.2 it will fail anyway.

Currently you can only restore to 6.1.3 and loose the JB.

So does it boot up into safe-mode?

asprings

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 9, 2013
Yes. I hit restore and update on itunes and it does a scan and then fails and again says the server is either unavailable or down. I tried to reboot with the volume up key but that just took away the jailbroke logo and it seems any other tweaks i previously had.

I just updated my iMac and tried again but no luck. Am I doomed??:mad::mad::eek:

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
Yes. I hit restore and update on itunes and it does a scan and then fails and again says the server is either unavailable or down. I tried to reboot with the volume up key but that just took away the jailbroke logo and it seems any other tweaks i previously had.

I just updated my iMac and tried again but no luck. Am I doomed??:mad::mad::eek:

So safe-mode works! All your jb tweaks will be disabled, however you can open cydia.

Boot in safe-mode, open cydia and uninstall the troubled tweak.

Do some reading up on JBing safe-mode and restoring.

asprings

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 9, 2013
So safe-mode works! All your jb tweaks will be disabled, however you can open cydia.

Sorry, I thought safe mode and dfu mode are the same. I can't get into safe mode. Its either dfu mode or the iOS6/activation screen but it wont activate at all. It still won't let me restore on iTunes and I feel like there are probably no more options.. I havent used Cydia in months and the first time I go back to it to download something, my whole phone crashes.

Its acting as if it completely blocked itself.

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
Thread starter,

The idea here is to get rid of the Cydia hack that conflicted your phone.
I re-read your responses and do not see you tried to get rid of the newest Cydia hack.
Did you remove it ?

My post came in after your last response.
Holding the volume up button during reboot does not get you to safe mode ?
The hack you attempted, was it from a trusted repo or a shady source ?

What else did you do after the failed reboot you failed to advise us of (like your attempts to restore)

Last edited:

asprings

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 9, 2013

My phone wont let even get to the home screen so I have no idea how to do anything with cydia.

It seems as if it was a new phone and wants to a new set up but only goes from a large iOS 6 image to choosing a wifi network and then activating but failing. Only says to try later.

I just tried to go into safe mode again with no luck.

Mrg02d

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2012
Likely a shady source. This happened to me once... Had to restore. iOS 6.1.1 was still out though, so I kept my jb.

asprings

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 9, 2013
I tried to re install pda net when it restarted and gave me this ios6 screen. My cydia sources havent been working for a while now so thats why I havent been downloading anything and well there you go.

I read that I have to change my host name on my mac. Anyone know if that could be it?

asprings

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 9, 2013
Decided to go into recovery mode and try from my old mac laptop.. and TADA! I was able to restore completely and my phone is fine.

Do you think its safe to jailbreak again? As I am a newb and am a little afraid now!

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
Decided to go into recovery mode and try from my old mac laptop.. and TADA! I was able to restore completely and my phone is fine.

Do you think its safe to jailbreak again? As I am a newb and am a little afraid now!

First of all read up, apparently you don't have a clue what you are doing.
If you restored your 4S in itunes you are on 6.1.3 which cannot be jailbroken.

asprings

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 9, 2013
Well excuse me my little Mac geeks... Relax and don't answer these posts if you are gonna be a little ______.:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

----------

First of all read up, apparently you don't have a clue what you are doing.
If you restored your 4S in itunes you are on 6.1.3 which cannot be jailbroken.

Last edited:

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
Well excuse me my little Mac geeks... Relax and don't answer these posts if you are gonna be a little ______.:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

----------

Try it the otherway around you asks for help but are not following that advice, maybe next time don't ask for help.

We don't mind helping people who are genuienly stuck, actually we do it all the time, for free and are happy when we can get somebody out of a tight spot.

In any case i am done helping here!

dabomb691

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2013
This exact thing happened to me. Tried reinstalling PDAnet because it wouldn't initialize after repeated reboots. Ended up on this stupid activation screen and there's no way to bypass it. On my iPad now and there's no computers here with Internet access so I think I'm screwed for a while. Safe mode doesn't work

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
This exact thing happened to me. Tried reinstalling PDAnet because it wouldn't initialize after repeated reboots. Ended up on this stupid activation screen and there's no way to bypass it. On my iPad now and there's no computers here with Internet access so I think I'm screwed for a while. Safe mode doesn't work

I bet you were missing the package "network-cmds" which is required for pdanet to work. I believe the developer recently updated the tweak to include this as a dependency but I'm not sure as I don't have it purchased

luqmaan ramoly

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2017

[doublepost=1514660368][/doublepost]Hey, how did you get itunes to recognise your iPhone?
it doesn't seem to be working from my Windows PC
do you think I should get a mac to do the restore?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.