iPhone 4S, restore to 5.0.1

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by jjk454ss, Mar 21, 2012.

1. jjk454ss macrumors 601

jjk454ss

OK, I know these posts come up often, but they are not always current. I am giving my 4S to someone I know(so I don't care about security or personal info so much), but I would like to have it as clean and back to stock as possible. I do want to keep the jailbreak or at least the ability to jailbreak.

I just read about Panic Room. Is this the best solution? What is recommended? Cydia shows SHSH for 5.0.1, 5.0.1r1, and 5.1, but I don't know if I can actually use these on a 4S? I have run Tiny Umbrella, but I've never tried restoring with that either.

Thanks for any suggestions.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You cannot restore to any iOS 5 version on A5 devices besides the one that is being signed by Apple, even if you have your SHSH blobs.

3. jjk454ss thread starter macrumors 601

jjk454ss

Thats what I thought, thanks. Has anyone tried Panic Room?

I guess I can restore and wait for a jb for 5.1, I just hoped to avoid that.

4. heyyitzmelissa macrumors 6502

You can't restore to anything less than what Apple is signing on A5 devices >5.0. What about this aren't people understanding? That just because they need it, there's going to be some exception for them?

5. jjk454ss thread starter macrumors 601

jjk454ss

Are you always like this? There is nothing I didn't understand. I asked a question to make sure I had the most up to date information. This is a discussion forum after all. I don't think anyone was asking for an exception on this.

6. labman macrumors 604

labman

on your other question I heard Panic room works well it's worth a try any way. Best case it wipes your data and saves your jailbreak. In the worst case you have to restore to 5.1 which is what you might have to do any way.. (so nothing to loose.)

7. jjk454ss thread starter macrumors 601

jjk454ss

Thats what I'm thinking too. Except I don't mind just manually removing what I can and leaving the rest. I think I will try Panic Room though. I'll report back on how it goes. Thanks for the USEFULL post:D.

8. jjk454ss thread starter macrumors 601

jjk454ss

PanicRoom is not supported under iOS5. I just deleted my personal data, uninstalled most all apps and tweaks. Couple strange things are happening. I removed Winterboard, but I probably should have unchecked themes first, an icon mask is still being applied to all the stock icons:confused:. Also removing Winterboard caused a lot of random icons to go white, and resetting settings in Springtomize wouldn't fix it. Only after reinstalling Winterboard would they go away.

Thanks for the help.

9. labman macrumors 604

labman

uninstall winterboard and other app from direct from Cydia if your trying to remove it.

10. jjk454ss thread starter macrumors 601

jjk454ss

Yeah, thats what I did. I didn't realize how much stuff I've installed over time, and I try to remove stuff if I'm not using it or don't need it.

11. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

She is always like this

12. heyyitzmelissa macrumors 6502

You can queue stuff to be remove all things at once in Cydia

13. labman macrumors 604

labman

you got a + vote on that one from me! ;)

14. jjk454ss thread starter macrumors 601

jjk454ss

Thanks. Even queueing everything was quite a bit. It really didn't take long, it just surprised me how much I actually had. And people wonder what the advantages of jailbreaking are:rolleyes:.

15. petersun21 macrumors newbie

remove jailbreaking

Here is my situation. Bought a verizon bad esn iphone 4s that is on 5.0.1, jailbroken, installed SAM. Bought an unlock card. Unlock was not successful. Reset all settings. Phone will not activate anymore. SAM may have made verizon sim card invalid. Questions:

Anyway I can restore 5.0.1 without updating it to 5.1?
    Anyway to remove all SAM (bingner) settings without acivating the phone?
    Anyway to hackactivate the phone?

Any help is appreciated.

16. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

There is no way to restore to iOS 5.0.1 on an iPhone 4S.

17. labman macrumors 604

labman

no you can't restore to 5.0.1 at this time no ETA no jailbreak or unlock for 5.1 at the moment. if the phone won't activate your only real option is talk to Verizon hope that's it's not a unpaid bill or reported stolen. prepare to be oput your money.

18. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

There was never a way to hactivate a 4S.
    What you tried is incompatible with the 4S and was only for previous iphone models.
    Nothing you can do with it now since it has a bad esn and only the original owner can whitelist it again.
    Like others said you cannot restore it to 5.0.1 and you should learn that you can never do an erase all content and settings on a JB iphone. It will get stuck like that.

19. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

20. petersun21 macrumors newbie

stuck

Will upgrade to 5.1 solve the stuck problem?

21. petersun21 macrumors newbie

stuck at activation

Here is the logic from my small brain. SAM from Bingner tricked the phone into GSM activation mode. Verizon phone can be activated using CDMA mode. There has to be some files storing the switch that allow you to switch back to CDMA activation mode.

22. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, but there is still no way currently to hactivate a 4S.

23. petersun21 macrumors newbie

The creator of Bingner should know the answer how to revert. Any contact information?

24. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No idea who that is.