iPhone 4s running iOS 9 - restore from backup to - iPhone 6 running iOS 10 - Possible?

Discussion in 'iOS 10' started by Spink10, May 26, 2017.

1. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

iPhone 4s running iOS 9 - restore from backup to - iPhone 6 running iOS 10

Is this possible? Can I do this through iTunes backup? Only iCloud backup? I prefer iTunes.

I thought this wasn't possible. This is for a friend that isn't tech savvy and isn't close to me. Providing support from afar.

Thanks!

2. C DM, May 26, 2017
    Last edited: May 26, 2017

C DM macrumors Westmere

So we are talking about putting a backup from a device running iOS 9 onto a device running iOS 10? If so, that should work, either through iTunes or iCloud, but iTunes would likely be the better way to go. (If we are talking about the reverse--putting an iOS 10 backup onto iOS 9--now that wouldn't really work.)

3. Spink10 thread starter macrumors 601

Spink10

Yes current device is running iOS 9 and new device is already on iOS 10. Thanks!

4. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

It is possible, but I definitely would not recommend it. That big of a hardware jump + software could lead to corruption, battery life issues and more. YMMV.

5. blindside217 macrumors regular

I have my iPhone 7 Plus running with my same backup all the way back to my iPhone 3G. I have just restored from backup from the previous device each year and everything has been fine. I have even jail broken and run betas at some points throughout the history of the backup. My text message history goes all the way back to 2008!