iPhone 4s Screen Problem

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by KyleWRC, Oct 6, 2013.

1. KyleWRC macrumors newbie

Hi Guys!
    The screen on my phone 4s started playing up about a week back, it was really unreponsive, I took the phone apart to see what was wrong with it, in the process of prodding around I managed to break the LCD ribbon cable with my screwdriver, I then replaced both the Digitiser and LCD in one(the whole screen replacement), when powering the phone back on I noticed that the screen itself was staying black and that the phone itself was on as I could see the backlight and feel it vibrating, I figured that one of the ribbon cables wasn't clicked in properly, I made sure they were clicked in and pushed them in and out a few times, I worked out that this wasn't the problem, I re-checked the ribbon cables, they were fine too, I restored the phone, this didn't cure it, the lock button on the phone is broke as the ribbon cable going into it is broke, would this cause the screen not to work? If not, any suggestions guys? thanks:)

2. crjackson2134 macrumors 68020

crjackson2134

iPhone 4s Screen Problem

Seriously my friend, I think you just need to give that phone a decent burial. I love my iPhone 4S, but if it were to break on me I would take that as a sign that it's time to either replace it or upgrade. Good luck.

Oh, and to answer your original question, yes, I think that could possibly be a contributing factor the problem.

3. nilzi macrumors regular

Hi, KyleWRC.
    The lock button has noting to do with the phone's screen. If the flex ribbon of the screen (including LCD ribbon and digitizer ribbon) was broken, the screen will stop work. Here is the tip that I googled in parts4repair.com

How to tell which Screen part you need for the iPhone 4S:

LCD Only:If the image under the glass is broken and the touch pancel is NOT then you only need an LCD
    Touch Panel aka Digitizer:If the top touch panel or aka glass top is cracked or broken but the image under it is fine,then you only need the Touch Panel
    Complete Screen with Touch Panel and LCD:If the top touch panel is broken and the lcd image is either black liquid or cracked you need a complete screen

4. iRepairParts macrumors regular

iRepairParts

If you're phone is on, but the screen is black there can be 2 different issues.

1) You could have received a defective screen.
    2) You could have damaged/ torn the LCD flex cable causing the screen to stay black.
    3) Many times, the cable is not properly seated, but you said you covered that, so your issue is either #1 or #2.

The lock button will not affect whether the screen works or not.

Hope I was able to help!