IPhone 4S screen unresponsive when using phone??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mac.Virgin101, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Mac.Virgin101 macrumors member

Hi Folks,

I bought an unlocked 32g IPhone 4S from the Apple store at the beginning of November. The phone works great except for the actual phone feature.

When I make/receive a call the call quality is fine and the conversation happens but I am unable to end the call, switch to the keypad, speakerphone, etc. Nothing on the screen responds, it will blink to recognize that I am pressing it but nothing happens.

This is a particularly big problem because I live in an apartment building and am unable to buzz people in when they call from the lobby, also, I work from home and am often making several calls a day and am unable to end the call when it goes to voicemail and I do not want to leave a message. The only way to end it is to restart the phone completely in the middle of the call (lock button+home button).

If I am finished a conversation and the person on the other end of the line disconnects, my phone will end the call and revert back to my homescreen but I am unable to click/access anything on it until I lock the screen and unlock it or restart it.

I have AppleCare and the phone is still under warranty.

I have called Apple and they instructed me to wipe the phone and do a factory restore, that didn't work.

Yesterday, I went in to the Apple Store and they replaced my phone.

This morning I made a call and the problem is still there. Unfortunately, it doesn't do it every time and it didn't do it in the apple store when I was there (with either phone)

Has anyone experienced this??? Any advice at all??? I am at a complete loss. I want so badly to love this phone but at the moment I am trying to keep my anger in check that I spent $800 on a phone that can't be used as a phone.

PS. I am in Canada and my carrier is Bell, but I don't think that would effect the function of the hardware.

2. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

I have & I'm on an iPhone 3GS. It's certainly an iOS 5 bug. As, I've heard other users of iPhones with iOS 5 explain the same exact problem.

I never had this problem on my 3GS on iOS 4, nor did I hear complaints about it.

3. Mac.Virgin101 thread starter macrumors member

hmmm...interesting.

I should also add that I asked the guy who was helping me at the store yesterday if he has seen this problem with other customers. He said "No, I've never seen this before"

????

4. Mac.Virgin101 thread starter macrumors member

So I guess the moral of this story is that there is no hope for a fix to this issue, until an update is released addressing it...which will likely not be any time soon since Apple doesn't even seem to be recognizing it as a problem?

....sigh....remind my again why I defend Apple products to my friends and family?

5. 101at9 macrumors member

101at9

I would restore again. Fresh install of ios 5. But don't restore from the backup. It may be an issue with something in the backup.

6. cruisencode macrumors member

This happened to me just yesterday. It was very frustrating and, as you mentioned, I had to restart the phone.

I have an iPhone 4S and previously had an iPhone 3GS and have never experienced this before yesterday.

7. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

Try and do a restore as new (not from backup). Leave it as fresh and try to replicate the problem. Make a few calls, etc. Does it still happen? If so, I'd make a trip to the store again. Show them.
    Find the guy that said he's never seen it before, show him, then tell him "See, now you have seen it". haha

But I'm thinking a restore as new might fix the issue.

8. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

I agree. Restore as new. Sometimes the corruption follows the backup. So if you exchanged 10 new phones yet continued to use a 'corrupt' backup, the issue would still exist. This has happened to me with regards to a few bugs. Restored as new, wah lah, fixed.

9. Mac.Virgin101 thread starter macrumors member

OK so here's a stupid question (hence my username) if I don't restore from a backup how do I not lose my data (contacts, pictures, etc).

10. lpeedin macrumors regular

I think the point is to NOT restore your backup so you can attempt to recreate the problem without any external influences. If you've problem goes away, then you've narrowed down the problem to something in your data. BTW, have you ever applied a jailbreak?

11. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1