iphone 4s screen water damaged, but still usable

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Achen94, Nov 28, 2012.

1. Achen94 macrumors newbie

Here's the situation, I put my phone on my roommate's table(it's a dorm) b/c my bed is right next to it. I wake up this morning and apparently something on his desk leaked, and it smells awful and really strong. So I take off my case and wash it and dry it, but there was also some of this liquid on the back and a little on the side of my phone. This is the part where i'm an idiot, I get a moist paper towel and dry the back and sides of the screen, water must have seeped in while i was doing this. But even if water did, it can't have been that much. but basically there are now these large black splotches, that I can still easily see and read through, but very aesthetically displeasing.
    How should I fix it? This is not a case of serious water damage so I can't seem to find any fixes? For starters should I turn my phone off? Right now, I'm just sitting it under a desk lamp hoping it will dry.

Should this naturally dry out? It really was not alot of water that seeped in, because I was cleaning the sides with a wet paper towel, never completely submerging it in water at all?

Thanks

2. r2shyyou macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

Turn it off and submerge it in a bowl or bag of uncooked rice. Keep it submerged until the water (hopefully) dissipates (could take an hour or a day or longer).

3. Achen94 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the quick reply, problem I don't have any uncooked rice, anything else I can do? The water that got in would have had to be minimal as I was only using a wet paper towel, so maybe a several drops? Would placing it under a desk lamp help?

4. r2shyyou macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

I suppose it could help but it could also cause damage due to excessive heat, depending on how hot the bulb gets and how close the lamp is.