iPhone 4S Screen Woes

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by iPhoneBSP, Jan 22, 2012.

1. iPhoneBSP macrumors newbie

I recently purchased the 4S and noticed I have some screen issues. Firstly, the screen is yellow-tinted. Second, there's light-leak on the side. My iPhone 4 does not have either of these issues.

Sorry for the crappy camera, that's all I have around.
    http://imgur.com/a/qZaxy

Should I visit Apple about this? What should I do?

Thanks, all.

2. TL24 macrumors 6502a

TL24

I can tell you how to fix the yellow-tint issue, but the backlight bleed is something you'll probably need to replace via Apple.

1. Once you have a nice 4S with no backlight bleeding the first thing you'll want to do it Jailbreak it.

2. Once you have access to Cydia you'll want to purchase an app called "Color Profiles" for $1.99 - this app allows you to change the color temperature to fit your preference.

3. After installing "Color Profiles" you'll want to select the "Bold" color profile then adjust the Color Temperature slightly to the left (cooler hue).

Voila, the famous yellow tint is gone!

3. SPEEDwithJJ, Jan 22, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2012

SPEEDwithJJ macrumors 65816

SPEEDwithJJ

Normal or not in terms of yellow screen, I can't say. I would suggest taking it back to Apple for an exchange.

I've personally gone through 5 iPhone 4S now, where I got my first in mid Nov & I just returned one yesterday that was bought 3 days ago. All 5 exhibit screens with various degrees of yellow. I decided that since all of those I got from various times have all got yellow screens, I decided that there is no point of going through any other further swaps. Of course, I can choose to keep on exchanging or buying/returning, but at some point this has got to stop. Given my own experiences, if I'm to proceed with that plan, I'll still most likely be getting one with a yellow screen because that seems to be the "norm". :( I'm not into jailbreaking my iOS devices, so I can only hope that Apple "come to their senses" & release a color temperature adjustment utility or something along those lines in the near future, while I s**k it up & follow Apple's advise to me to learn to deal with the yellow screen. Furthermore, I was also told by them that all those yellow screens are all normal & within specifications, so nothing is wrong with those screens. Based on my unscientific observations, I would say that there is about an 85% chance of getting an iPhone 4S with a yellowish screen.

However, if you're into jailbreaking, there's an app called "Color Profiles" or something that allows you to adjust the screen of your iPhone 4S to a color temperature very close to what is currently on your iPhone 4. :)

Good luck. :)

4. iPhoneBSP thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the tips, TL24!

----------

Thanks for the input.

Do any of those phones exhibit the light bleeding?

5. TL24 macrumors 6502a

TL24

NP! I should also mention that the "Bold" color profile greatly enhances the contrast ratio so everything doesn't look as "washed out" as before.

Best app I've ever used for the 4S!

6. SPEEDwithJJ macrumors 65816

SPEEDwithJJ

If your phone looks exactly like what is in the pictures, all of those iPhone 4S that I've gone though have got minor light leakages, similar to those on your photos. I would think that is normal, but you may also want to seek an exchange with Apple if you're bothered by that. You pay hard earned money on Apple products, I would think the most important thing is that you should get something that you're totally statisfied with.

Below are a few links that you may be interested to read more:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3385567?start=0&tstart=0
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1273079
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1058035

Good luck. :)

7. iPhoneBSP thread starter macrumors newbie

8. samven582 macrumors 6502a

Its not normal. I would get it exchanged. If a genius gives you hard time, compare your phone with ones being displayed on the floor. The ones being displayed have no light leak at all.

9. MrRon macrumors regular

MrRon

Thats the reason why Apple delay the shipment to White iPhone I believe. If the problem is serious, I will have Apple to replace it.