Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

richard371

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 1, 2008
I am at home and normally have 5 bars (ATT) on my desk. It will often drop down to 2 bars or so for a few minutes then back up to 5. Im not even touching the phone. Is this normal? I have a Blackberry Bold on ATT that says at 5 bars while this happens to the iPhone.

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
Just because your phone isn't moving, it doesn't mean the cell tower is still.... sometimes they get bored just standing there and go for short jogs to stretch their tower legs.

r2shyyou

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2010
Paris, France
I am at home and normally have 5 bars (ATT) on my desk. It will often drop down to 2 bars or so for a few minutes then back up to 5. Im not even touching the phone. Is this normal? I have a Blackberry Bold on ATT that says at 5 bars while this happens to the iPhone.

I'd say in my experience with iPhones that this is pretty normal. I've never owned or even used a BlackBerry so I can't comment on those. In any case, weather and network traffic can affect the signal, amongst other things, so maybe one or both of those had something to do with the momentary drop off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.