Iphone 4s, Speaker not working?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by prefor, Oct 12, 2014.

1. prefor macrumors newbie

Hi guys.

Just today i occured a problem with my iphone 4s.... There is no sound from the speaker :(

When i go in "Settings -> Sounds -> Ringtone" and choose a random ringtone, the speaker works without any problem..

However when i go and listen from youtube or spotify or even music player, the volume bar isn't there.

I tried to use a snap-off knife in the dock connector and that seems to fix the problem HOWEVER, whenever i restart the phone the problem occurs again, in other words the sound disappears again until i use the snap-off knife again...

What can i do to fix it permanently?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Possibly replacing the dock connector would correct the problem.

3. prefor thread starter macrumors newbie

Well the problem is that it worked perfectly yesterday, but i removed dust from the dock connector using a tooth pick, and ever since that, this problem came up.

4. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Sounds like using the tooth pick likely damaged something in the connector.

5. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

I'd stick with compressed air for cleaning out the dock connector. It sounds like you've shorted something out and the phone now thinks it's docked and is correctly redirecting all audio to the dock connector. (I don't think phone audio ever gets directed to a docked speaker - so that agrees with what you're seeing).

Have a good look in the dock connector with a magnifying glass/flashlight to see if pins 11 or 21 have gunk near them. That might cause them to short out (probably to the metal surrounding the connector). According to this pinout diagram, either of those will route all non-phone audio to the dock connector instead of the internal speaker)

Try cleaning with compressed air and/or a small bristle brush. And put the "snap-off knife" down for heaven's sake. The connector is extremely fragile.

Attached Files:

6. prefor thread starter macrumors newbie

hahaha i know i shouldn't use the "Snap-off knife" but i've tried many things and apparently anything works, i just have to push up the connector a bit and it works :/
    It will work all the time until i restart the phone. After i restart the phone i have to push up the connector to make it work again...
    Why is that?!

How do i know which pin is which?
    I mean from which side should i look when i turn it upside down?

7. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Sorry, I can never remember if they're numbered from left-to-right or right-to-left. But they are numbered consecutively from 1 to 30. So one of them will be roughly one third of the way in from the right and the other will be one third of the way in from the left.

The fact that you have to wiggle the connector (with an knife!:eek:) for a temporary fix may mean a dock connector replacement is needed (It's a $20 part from iFixit and about an hour of your time). Just try a really good clean first with a brush and/or air. Don't use water or any sharp metal pointy things.

8. prefor thread starter macrumors newbie

I'ts not just a knife, i can use anything. even my fingers (bad example but you get my point)! I just need to push it back a bit and it works :/
    I will buy one, but after i watched a video on youtube on how you replace it.. well let's just say that it was awful!! I mean you have to remove all the stuff from the phone and then attach them again..
    I've read fron many forums (including this) that many uses a method to clean the dock connectur using alcohol.
    Which alcohol are they referring to? Can i use any alcohol drinks?

9. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Yeah the 4s is a nightmare to fix. I replaced a 4s screen recently: You pretty much have to empty everything out of the phone before you can get to the screws that hold the screen in. Really bad design. Make sure you have the right screwdrivers (one pentalobe and one philips. Both really tiny. I doubt you'd be able to buy them in Home Depot)

Not alcohol drinks! They'll leave all sorts of sticky residue.

Isopropyl alcohol, maybe? The kind used in first aid. But even that has some water in it and might damage your phone. Personally, I wouldn't use it in there.

10. prefor thread starter macrumors newbie

I think i actually fixed it! :D
    Well i think atleast :/

What i did was i turned the iphone upside down (obviously) and looked above the dock connector. I used my sisters iphone's flashlight to get a better look inside and i saw that one of the pin was a bit outside. I dont know how to put it but it wasn't lined as the others pins so i used a paper clip (i know, i know it's very fragile to use these kind of stuff, but i was at this point that i didn't care any more, i just wanted to fix it :p)
    Anyway i pushed the pin back to it's place and now whenever i restart the phone or anything the sound still works :D

11. dannyTO macrumors regular

dannyTO

12. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Thanks for posting an update: It'll help others with the same problem.

Great to hear it worked out.

13. oneshotpro Suspended

Happens to my 4s after I upgraded to iOS8. Speaker will stop working, only a restart fixes it. Usually happens when I try to watch a video in safari or youtube, it will glitch and then the speaker on the phone doesn't work, can't change the volume as well.