iphone 4s spotlight search issue

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by taeclee99, Oct 28, 2011.

1. taeclee99 macrumors 6502a

taeclee99

The spotlight feature is working very sporadically on my iPhone 4s.
    Sometimes the search yields results, sometimes it doesn't give any.
    Very strange. Already tried to toggle the spotlight search options off and then on. No luck. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

2. DamonB macrumors newbie

Same thing works sometimes, but not others

Has any one else found this or found out the reason why?

D.

3. New2iphone4s macrumors newbie

Spotlight Search

This is a known issue. i called Applecare today for this issue. There are only a few reported cases, but I can tell you that I purchased 3 iphone 4s phones for my employees and this is an issue on all of them.

Applecare had me remove email from my spotlight search and it resolved the issue. So my guess is that if you have an exchange account or email account with a lot of messages, spotlight is having an issue indexing it and its messing up the search

For me, Spotlight search was to find phone numbers/contacts, meetings, etc, so removing mail wasn't an issue. Especially sionce mail has its own search function which seems to work well.

4. Duffer13 macrumors newbie

Duffer13

iphone 4s spotlight search issue

I have also been experiencing the sporadic Spotlight access and was relieved to hear that mail might be the issue because I tried everything else. When I negated the mail indexing, I thought I was experiencing better results, but, that was only temporary.

However, I upgraded to iOS 5.01 last night and reconnected all indexes for Spotlight and it appears to be solid now. Perhaps this was one of the corrected bugs. I hope so because Spotlight is even more important to me than Siri.

5. GiantSteve macrumors member

Is there a way to have Spotlight Search look at third party apps? It would be great if the search could include my Evernote contents.

6. tinkvik macrumors newbie

Spotlight Search not working on Iphone 4s (even after removing mail search)

Hi, following the posts, I removed Mail search from the Spotlight search option on my iPhone4s but I'm still facing the same issue. The search is very sporadic, out of 10 attempts it throws result for one. Im using the latest iPhone 4s version i.e 5.0.1. Is anyone facing the issue & has got the solution?? PLEASE HELP!

This is a serious drawback as one of the most important tasks on the phone is to search for a contact & make a call. With the spotlight feature going bad the only option left is to use my other phone "Nokia E63" for making calls and use iPhone only for Apps, mailing & internet. Very sad to report that :(

7. tinkvik macrumors newbie

Issue resolved

..ALL the issue has finally got resolved by switching of mail search, it din't work immidiately after switching it off but is now working perfectly.. :D