Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Loizos

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 25, 2014
Cyprus
So one night, I turned my iphone off and went to sleep. The next day though, it wouldn't boot up. I got a black screen, no apple logo, no anything, and it wasn't a battery problem, cause it was almost fully charged. I connected it to my pc, tried restoring with itunes, but it just froze at "waiting for iphone" screen, and the progress bar on the phone wasn't moving...I thought updating to iOS 7 would work when it came out, but still nothing. I can't even restore, although iTunes recognises the device in dfu mode, and...the best/worst part is I WAS NOT JAILBROKEN as there wasn't a 6.1.3 jailbreak at that time...So here are the things I tried:

- 3 differents computers (2 laptops), and all of their usb ports.
- Waiting for like 5 hours for the progress bar to move.
- Downloading a custom ipsw file off the internet and tried restoring it.
- Used a program called RecBoot to get out of dfu mode.
- Have made 4 threads like this, still no useful reply.
- Tried EVERY SINGLE COMBINATION of the home and the power button together, like holding them pressed for 5 minutes.
- Charged the phone for 3 hours.
- Bought a new data cable from ebay - tried 100 times with it too.

None of them worked though...

Plz help! It's been like 5 months now searching the internet, still haven't done any progress, it just hangs at dfu mode not restoring...This is so unfair cause I wasn't even jailbroken, and the people who get this are usually jailbroken. It is maybe the last thread I make before I give up for ever...

Thread I made over at apple support forums: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5611935

greenmagic

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2014
I have opposite problem - cant go into DFU mode. If you can do that, you could jailbreak it with redsn0w which is free and very easy to do (I've done it), and run the phone that way.
I think you then could perhaps un jailbreak it back later if you wanted to. Worth a try if you'll give up next.
Also, if you can go into DFU mode iTunes itself can't point it to a .ipsw file and fix it?

Loizos

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 25, 2014
Cyprus
I have opposite problem - cant go into DFU mode. If you can do that, you could jailbreak it with redsn0w which is free and very easy to do (I've done it), and run the phone that way.
I think you then could perhaps un jailbreak it back later if you wanted to. Worth a try if you'll give up next.
Also, if you can go into DFU mode iTunes itself can't point it to a .ipsw file and fix it?

I have already tried, but redsnow says:

"Your iPhone 4s is connected in the wrong mode.
Please connect the phone in normal mode and try again."

Evasion also requires the phone to be in normal state.

But I can't even boot up :S

Thanks for the reply anyway...

Loizos

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 25, 2014
Cyprus
I agree. It sounds like a hardware issue. Have you tried contacting Apple?

Unfortunately there's no apple stores in Cyprus, where I live. Even if there were though, they wouldn't help me. Many people with the same problem, who made appointments at their local genius bar, said that they didn't even bother looking at the phone itself. They just offered them a new one in a lower price :|
Well thanks for the replies anyway. I should stop trying if it's a hardware problem...

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Unfortunately you cant fix hardware with software restores or other jb hacks. And trying the same thing 300 times wont make a difference.
Find a place that repairs iphones and they should be able to check it out and tell you what needs to be repaired and for how much.

Loizos

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 25, 2014
Cyprus
Unfortunately you cant fix hardware with software restores or other jb hacks. And trying the same thing 300 times wont make a difference.
Find a place that repairs iphones and they should be able to check it out and tell you what needs to be repaired and for how much.

Funny thing is, I actually tried more than 300 times, according to the log files :)

Anyway, thanks for your help everyone, I'll see what I'll do...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.