iPhone 4s - Stuck in Recovery Mode (not jailbroken)

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by gavinstubbs09, Feb 20, 2014.

1. gavinstubbs09, Feb 20, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2014

gavinstubbs09 macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

Hi, maybe someone can help!

I recently bought a iPhone 4s off a friend that I planned to get working to replace my iPhone 4. He said it wouldn't boot and when I got it, it seems to be stuck in a recovery mode loop. Went into iTunes on both a Mac and a PC, and installing 7.0.4 throws me Error 36 (but on the iPhone I get to the apple logo with the progress bar but no actual progress), and if I use 7.0.2 (this phone ran that or the 7.0 GM because it was thrown in a drawer a while before 7.0.4 came out) I will get "This Device is not Supported" even after trying the little hosts file fix on OS X.

Even tools like TinyUmbrella and redsn0w apps that say reboot device, the iPhone will reboot but right back to "plug into iPhone." The program Wondershare makes (Dr. Fone) doesn't seem to work either.

So really, it's stuck in a recovery loop and I'm unable to actually recover it :( I'd be extremely grateful if someone has a fix as I really wanted to get the 4s working tonight!

2. gavinstubbs09 thread starter macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

Even getting the phone in DFU mode with the black screen, iTunes still sees it as recovery mode.

3. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

4. greenmagic macrumors newbie

iTunes will see a DFU mode device as in restore mode right? (Even if its really in DFU).
    What about jail breaking it while its in DFU mode instead?

5. Devidain Suspended

Don't worry about that. iPhone stuck in recovery mode always happens when you update the iOS on your iPhone. There are two ways to solve it.

First is is to put your iPhone in DFU mode.
    Step 1. Turn off iPhone
    Step 2. Hold down the power and home button.
    Step 3. When you see the Apple logo, release the power button but continue holding the home button down.
    Step 4. Open iTunes and wait for it to tell you that it’s in restore mode.

Second is to fix with a iPhone Data Recovery tool.
    Step 1: Fix the Problem of iPhone Stuck in Recovery Mode
    Step 2: Recover Lost Data from your iPhone Directly
    Step 3: Recover Lost Data from iTunes Backup
    You can try both of them.