iPhone 4S stuck in recovery mode?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by indypacer, Jul 24, 2012.

1. indypacer macrumors newbie

I bought a used iPhone 4S, it was jailbroken on 5.1.1. I want to restore it to stock. I tried just doing a restore through iTunes, and that kicked it into recovery mode. I didn't think to grab the SHSH blobs off of it first, so I'm not sure what to do now. I thought I'd be able to just flash the 5.1.1 IPSW, but if I recall, I think that needs to be signed as well - so not really sure what to do.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Put it into DFU mode (Google it) and restore it in iTunes.

4. indypacer thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the tips. I had tried DFU mode but it kept going back to the Connect to iTunes screen.

I used TinyUmbrella and got it out of recovery so now I'm back at the home screen. I could go ahead and activate it right now, but it's jailbroken and I want it to be stock. Since I know an iTunes restore won't work, is there a better way to approach getting it wiped? On my regular iPhone 4 I was able to use iFaith to build a signed IPSW using my SHSH blobs. I figured I'd do that with the 4S but iFaith doesn't list the 4S as being supported, so I'm not sure what to do.

Thanks again.

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

A DFU mode restore will work. It sounds like you are not getting it into DFU mode correctly.

6. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Try the DFU restore on another computer with iTunes.

7. indypacer thread starter macrumors newbie

When I tried wiping it the first time the phone wasn't in DFU, I was just doing a plain restore. I just tried to do a wipe through iTunes while in DFU mode and it gave me an error again. I unplugged and powered on, it still works fine but obviously is still jailbroken. Any other thoughts on how to wipe it, since DFU + iTunes doesn't appear to have worked?

8. Intell macrumors P6

Intell