Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hameedo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 18, 2012
Hi everyone,
My iPhone 4s is on 5.0.1 and jailbroken but for some reason it got stuck on restart loop and the computer won't recognize it...I tried SSH but I can't find its IP because it's dynamic.

Anyone got any suggestions on how to fix it? I can't restore to 5.0.1 again and won't restore to 5.1 and loose my jailbreak. So what can I do?

Kyotoma

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2010
Carnegie and Ontario
Time to go buy a different phone, since you know you can't restore back to 5.0.1 and wouldn't dream of restoring to 5.1.

Alternatively, you could, you know. Go stock and live with it. Especially with recent news of 5.1 being ready for jailbreak in the near future.

Alternatively Alternatively, You could try and force it into DFU and then use ifunbox to SSH.

eclipse01

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2011
Eau Claire, WI
Time to go buy a different phone, since you know you can't restore back to 5.0.1 and wouldn't dream of restoring to 5.1.

Alternatively, you could, you know. Go stock and live with it. Especially with recent news of 5.1 being ready for jailbreak in the near future.

Alternatively Alternatively, You could try and force it into DFU and then use ifunbox to SSH.

so you can't do a manual install anymore (hold in shift and click update in Itunes)?

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
Have you tried holding down home button and power button until it shuts off completely and then powering back on? My 4S factory unlock does get stuck in boot loop every now and then when I use A Siri command via MyAssistant to restart my 4S.

brayhite

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
N. Kentucky
If I remember correctly, while apple logo was up I would hold the sleep and home buttons together to turn off manually then immediately run the recovery fix.

ZCherub

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2010
GA, USA
If I remember correctly, while apple logo was up I would hold the sleep and home buttons together to turn off manually then immediately run the recovery fix.

Isn't that just a hard reset? The device comes back on immediately after that...

brayhite

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
N. Kentucky
Isn't that just a hard reset? The device comes back on immediately after that...

I was essentially doing whatever I can. I think the phone has to be connected and off to run the recovery fix and I guess it stayed off just long enough to run it. I really don't remember exactly. I remember racing the Apple logo so to speak, and eventually getting it out of the loop by running the recovery fix. How I got there, can't exactly remember.

hameedo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 18, 2012
Thanks for the replies :)
Something strange happened. I left the iPhone connected to the comuter overnight and in the morning it is out of the boot loop! Unofrtuantely it runs as if it is in "semi tether" mode. Most applications crash, can't run SBSettings and SSH doesn't connect. Even Cydia crashes :( Any ideas how to fix it?!

breezyf808

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2012
If u updated the mobile substrate them u'll be able to put ur phone in safe mode and get out of that "infinite loop"
Just hard reset iPhone then immediately hold on volume up button til ur phone is on lock screen then it is advise to hold it another 3-5 seconds after lock screen pops up for good measure
Hopefully that helps

---------
Whoops sorry kinda late lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.