iPhone 4S switching off at 30% battery

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by GaMeFaNaTiC, Nov 26, 2011.

1. GaMeFaNaTiC macrumors newbie

I've had this phone for a few weeks now and its only just started happening recently. I've noticed that the battery is staying at 100% for nearly 2 hours and then dying when its at 20-30%. :confused:

Does anyone know what I can do to fix this? Is the battery faulty?

Thanks

2. Blakey. macrumors member

I could see it happening at <5% left, but 30% seems extremely excessive. You might want to take the phone into an Apple store(hopefully you have one near). My battery seems excellent, so I'm almost afraid to go exchange it for what I feel is a faulty vibrating mechanism(extremely loud rattling when I get a text) in fear of getting one with terrible battery.

3. GaMeFaNaTiC thread starter macrumors newbie

I've restored it as new. If that doesn't fix it I guess I'll have to take it to the apple store.

4. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

Before you take it in, let it die fully and leave it on the charger for about two hours after it says that it is fully charged. Do this a few times. My guess is that it is a calibration issue, not a battery issue.

5. GaMeFaNaTiC thread starter macrumors newbie

How do I let it die fully if it dies @ 30%? should I wait a few hours after it has died and then start charging it? Will leave it on the charger for 2 hours after it has reached 100%. Hope it works, thanks for your help.

6. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

No put it on the charger right when it dies. No need to wait.

7. GaMeFaNaTiC thread starter macrumors newbie

I left it on charge for 2-3 hours after it said 100%. The battery ended up staying at 100% for approx 2 hours usage and 14hours standby.

Its still dying at 30%. When I plug the charger in and restart it a few times I notice that the battery then says 1% and the phone keeps restarting by itself. This is when connected to a laptop. It then goes back to 30% when I plug it into the wall socket and stays on.

Any ideas? :( Could it be the cable? I'm guessing prob not.

8. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

I would definitely try and take it in if that hasn't helped at all. Sorry for all the fuss.

9. cherrykate macrumors newbie

iPhone 4s switching off at 30% battery

It seems not to be an exact data.

10. woods1110 macrumors member

gamefanatic,

Which carrier do you have? I have a friend who has Verizon and the 4s he got on day one did this. He called apple and they sent him a replacement. It does the same thing. They are sending him a third iphone now.

His will get to 32% or so and just shut off and display a message saying to plug it in to a charger. It happens to him just about every other day.

11. HeyKatie macrumors 6502

Twice this month my phone has gone completely dead at 30%, when I try to turn it back on I get to red icon and plug into charger symbol. If I wait about half an hour it will come back on fully and be at 20%.