iPhone 4s talk & surf on Verizon?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by jakebook, Oct 4, 2011.

1. jakebook, Oct 4, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2011

jakebook macrumors newbie

I was wondering, will the iPhone 4S be able to talk & surf simultaneously on Verizon's network? Because the iPhone 4S is a world phone now, so while switching from CDMA to GSM will it be able to talk and surf? Or does talk & surf only work on Verizon over 4G LTE?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I think you're confused. On a CDMA network (like Verizon) you cannot have Voice and data simultaneously. The fact that it is a "world phone" does not change this reality. If you are locked to the Verizon network you will never use a GSM signal, and therefore will not be able to use voice and data simultaneously.

The only way to do that would be to switch to AT&T or Sprint (in the US), because the iPhone is not a 4G (LTE) phone.

3. jshbckr macrumors 6502

Apparently the HTC Thunderbolt has two antennas on Verizon and it can talk and use data at the same time on 3G (normally impossible on CDMA).

Would the two antennae in the 4S allow this?

4. Bucmanfly macrumors newbie

Spoke to verizon about his when I purchased iPhone 4s. They said it was now possible to use data and talk at the same time with this iPhone 4s model, but no other iPhone can do this. It must be because of the dual antennae or maybe because of the dual core processor which can process 2 signals simulataneously? Didn't go into why it will work but he said it would....

5. brian540 macrumors member

I don't believe it will I think the phone only uses one or the other antenna based upon which is receiving more signal at the time

6. MacBoook160 macrumors 6502

I spoke with the folks at Apple, and I'm pretty positive that there's no talk/surf on Verizon yet. Once LTE is fully functional, it will be possible, but not now.

At least that's what I was told a few days ago.

7. formerpc macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

If a phone is SVDO compatible, then you can make phone calls and surf the web at the same on CDMA. However, few phones have this ability, as far as I know.

8. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

+1 The thunderbolt definitely has the capability not sure about the Iphone.

9. formerpc macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

No iPhone has this, sadly.

I know LTE allows voice & data at the same time, but I didn't know the thunderbolt was SVDO capable. If so, that's really cool!

10. Bugwart macrumors newbie

GSM is a specific air interface. HSDPA is another air interface. LTE is another air interface. CDMA 1X/EVDO is another air interface. Each air interface requires a separate radio transceiver. GSM/HSDPA phones can talk and surf because they have two separate radios. Likewise CDMA/LTE phones can do the same since they also incorporate 2 radios.

CDMA 1X/EVDO phones have a single radio since CDMA is forewards and backwards compatible. There are advantages and disadvantages to this. One disadvantage is that they can either surf or talk, but not both simaltaneously.

The 4S has GSM, HSDPA and CDMA/EVDO and thus 3 radios. Since iPhones are locked to a single service provider, only the CDMA/EVDO radio will connect in the US.