iPhone 4S & The Newbie

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by SWPILGRIM, Nov 22, 2011.

1. SWPILGRIM macrumors newbie

I'm a NEWBIE in every sense, new to the Forum, new to iPhone.

I would like to purchase one of the New 4S BUT I don't know :

1) what level of MEMORY to buy ?

2) what protective cover works best providing the best protection ?

3) has anyone started service with Sprint ? Any tips about what to purchase or NOT with the data plans ?

4) any pitfalls with the hardware, software, or Sprint as carrier to avoid ?

Thanks,

SWP

2. estockme macrumors regular

oh boy. you should search the forum for answers to questions like these or people will make fun of you and give you minus ratings. in many cases your best bet is to spend hours reading other people's answers and then agonize over the choice at hand:

1) what level of MEMORY to buy ?
    Depends on your needs, if you plan to take a lot of video, download big games or don't want to have to shuffle mp3s in and out a lot then go higher. if you have itunes match or use other streaming services then music space should become a non-issue.

2) what protective cover works best providing the best protection ?
    depends on what you want in terms of bulk, protection against drops vs keeping the screen nice, etc. otterbox, incipio and incase are some of the big names.

3) has anyone started service with Sprint ? Any tips about what to purchase or NOT with the data plans ?
    there have been complaints about data speeds on sprint, but the ip4s is made to use wifi whenever available. if streaming things, heavy browsing or big DL speeds are important to you you might want to search for the experiences of the people in your area. i'm on sprint and not worried about data speeds, but then again i am very chilled out.

4) any pitfalls with the hardware, software, or Sprint as carrier to avoid ?
    given a vote on this forum sprint would probably be the carrier to avoid. on the other hand if you want to lock in unlimited data they are only choice and there is a chance data speeds will improve in time. you will also have more trouble switching networks with the same phone bc sprint uses cdma rather than sim card-based gsm.
    there have been other hardware problems reported on the forums but no way to statistically tell you how many are bad. again, you could search for these if you want to know what to watch out for, or you could choose the blissful path of ignorance.

the answer to most of your questions was it depends